Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Traverse file structure from top and rename the immediate parent Post 302525047 by sahil_jammu on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 01:25:59 PM
Old 05-25-2011
Traverse file structure from top and rename the immediate parent

Hello All,

I am trying to write a script to:-

1. Traverse entire file system, look for directories which has .git directory in it
2. Rename the immediate parent directory to <orignal_name.git>
3. Traverse new file structure and look for all directories with <original_name>.git
4. cd to that directory and remove its contents
5. once everything inside the directory is deleted, create a file

Step 1:
Code:
- find * -type d -iname '.git'

Step 2:-
Code:
function rename_git_parent
{
for file in "$1"/*
do
cd .. | $(pwd) -exec mv '{}' '{}'.dir ';'
done
return 1
}

//i am not too sure if its the right way of doing it, or shall i use dirname..

How shall i go about step2 and ownwards...

Last edited by vbe; 05-25-2011 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using File Descriptors, traverse a list

I have written this code, and according to my research it SHOULD be going down the list until it is finished, but I am getting blank feedback. Nothing is being output as far as I can tell. #!/bin/sh while echo Enter to start traversing read enter do read list <&3 echo $list done any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
2 Replies

3. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file after the name of its parent dir

Started a thread in beginners but I thought someone from this forum may have an idea as well. Thanks! EDITED BY REBORG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to traverse directory structure and sum size of files?

How do I write a bash or ruby or perl or groovy script to print all the files in my directory tree that are one-to-two years old, the size of each file, and the sum of file sizes and then delete them? I was using find . -atime +365 -exec rm '{}' \; but the problem was that I could not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

7. AIX

Parent directory seems to disappear if child fails rename

If I have a file/folder that a user does not have permission to and I try to rename it, it removes the entire parent folder. At that point it is only visible in a ls. (Not a ls -l, file, more, cd). It happens on every filesystem. This is Aix 5.3 $ cd test $ ls -la total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptr2be
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename last directory in a file structure

I have to write a script to rename the every last sub-directory in a directory structure if the last sub-directory name doesn't contain "submitted". eg: given directory path:/u01/home/somedir somedir can have many subdirectories and each subdirectory inturn has many subdirectories. somedir... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get top level parent directory

Hi All, I have a directory like this: /u01/app/oracle/11gSE1/11gR203 How do i get the top level directory /u01 from this? Tried dirname and basename but dint help. I can this using echo $ORACLE_HOME | awk -F"/" '{print "/"$2}'. But I am trying to find out if there is a better way of doing it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilayasundar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename the file name from Parent directory

Hi All, Just started learning unix and stuck into below issue. Suppose i have folder structure as below. Dir1/Dir2/Dir3/File1.msg I am looking to rename the file name from File1.msg to File2.msg but from the parent Dir1 From Dir3 i can easily run the command like mv File1.msg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurjeet Singh
2 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-n] [-q] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to run unless given -f or -n. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -x Don't use the ignore rules. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. AUTHOR
Written by Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org[1]> GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. proski@gnu.org mailto:proski@gnu.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-CLEAN(1)