Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the advantage of unix sockets? Post 302524306 by sarielz on Monday 23rd of May 2011 02:40:37 AM
Old 05-23-2011
what is the advantage of unix sockets?

Hi,
i understood that there are several type of sockets: TCP, UDP & Unix.
i wondered, what is the performance advantages of unix socket of the other types?
isn't it equal to use UDP with localhost as destination over unix socket?

Thanks in advance,
Sariel

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does automount have an advantage over hard mount?

? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

fd passing between Independent processes using unix domain sockets

Hi, I am having some error handling issues with and fd passed between Independent processes using unix domain sockets (On HPUX). Here is the scnerio ================= Step 1: TPC/Client (connect()) ---Connects to ------TCP/Server(Gateway) (server gets fd) Step 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debasisb2002
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Message Queues vs. Sockets

If I use sockets for IPC, and can easily distribute my applications. UNIX Message Queues are local to the processor. As I understand it, Message Queues still incur system call overhead, just like socket calls. What advantage does a UNIX Message Queue provide versus a TCP or UDP Socket,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen29sky
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs

Is there a performance advantage of one of these over the other? Obviously, it makes no sense to use normal TCP sockets or UDP sockets w/ the overhead they carry. But what about UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs? I'd think they'd be very similar, in terms of performance and in terms of how they're... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgessner
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: one advantage of the ability to look for either synonym?

Hi I'm reading <learning the bash shell>. And in the section - 3.1. The .bash_profile, .bash_logout, and .bashrc Files bash allows two synonyms for .bash_profile: .bash_login, derived from the C shell's file named .login, and .profile, derived from the Bourne shell and Korn shell files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: password636
1 Replies

6. Solaris

advantage of v490 over 480R

What are the advantages for Sun Fire 490 over Sun Fire 480 R just from a server performance perspective? Or, are they both just about the same? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Cobbler - what is the advantage?

Hi guys, new user here, so please be gentle. I need to build a lot of servers at work on a weekly basis with various versions of RH and additional applications. We use PXE/Kickstart to do this with selections made from a simple menu structure. However, I keep hearing about Cobbler and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankpym
0 Replies
socket.h(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       socket.h(3)

NAME
socket.h - Network addresses and sockets related classes. SYNOPSIS
#include <cc++/address.h> Classes class ost::Socket The Socket is used as the base for all Internet protocol services under Common C++. class ost::DCCPSocket DCCP sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two sockets. class ost::UDPSocket UDP sockets implement the TCP SOCK_DGRAM UDP protocol. class ost::UDPBroadcast Representing a UDP socket used for subnet broadcasts, this class provides an alternate binding and setPeer() capability for UDP sockets. class ost::UDPTransmit Representing half of a two-way UDP connection, the UDP transmitter can broadcast data to another selected peer host or to an entire subnet. class ost::UDPReceive Representing half of a two-way UDP connection, the UDP receiver can receive data from another peer host or subnet. class ost::UDPDuplex UDP duplex connections impliment a bi-directional point-to-point UDP session between two peer hosts. class ost::TCPSocket TCP sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two sockets. class ost::TCPV6Socket TCPV6 sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two ipv6 sockets. class ost::TCPStream TCP streams are used to represent TCP client connections to a server by TCP protocol servers for accepting client connections. class ost::TCPSession The TCP session is used to primarily to represent a client connection that can be managed on a separate thread. class ost::SimpleTCPStream Simple TCP Stream, to be used with Common C++ Library. Namespaces namespace ost Macros #define INVALID_SOCKET -1 #define _IOLEN64 #define _IORET64 #define MSG_DONTWAIT 0 #define MSG_NOSIGNAL 0 #define SOCK_DCCP 6 #define IPPROTO_DCCP 33 #define SOL_DCCP 269 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_AVAILABLE_CCIDS 12 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_CCID 13 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_TX_CCID 14 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_RX_CCID 15 Typedefs typedef int SOCKET Variables class __EXPORT ost::SimpleTCPStream Detailed Description Network addresses and sockets related classes. Macro Definition Documentation #define _IOLEN64 Referenced by ost::SocketPort::peek(), ost::UDPSocket::peek(), ost::TCPStream::peek(), ost::SocketPort::receive(), ost::UDPReceive::receive(), ost::SocketPort::send(), ost::UDPTransmit::send(), and ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define _IORET64 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_AVAILABLE_CCIDS 12 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_CCID 13 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_RX_CCID 15 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_TX_CCID 14 #define INVALID_SOCKET -1 #define IPPROTO_DCCP 33 #define MSG_DONTWAIT 0 Referenced by ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define MSG_NOSIGNAL 0 Referenced by ost::UDPTransmit::send(), and ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define SOCK_DCCP 6 #define SOL_DCCP 269 Typedef Documentation typedef int SOCKET Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for GNU CommonC++ from the source code. GNU CommonC++ Sat Jun 23 2012 socket.h(3)