Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with this script? Post 302521812 by methyl on Thursday 12th of May 2011 10:45:06 AM
Old 05-12-2011
The slandy quotes “ ” look like they have come from Microsoft Word and are not valid in a unix script. They should be standard double quotes " " . You need to be using a unix editor to create a unix script file in the correct character set.

After taking into account the advice from various posters, please post the new version and show what happens when you execute the script. It is hard to suggest changes without knowing what the script is designed to do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with my script?

Hey guys, can someone help me with this script... #!/bin/sh dir=`pwd` for i in *.f do if then M=`wc -l < ${i} sed -e 's://.*::' < ${i} | \ (echo "//${i} -"$M ; cat - ) > $i.tmp chmod 700 $i ; mv ${i}.tmp $i ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with this script?

I keep getting errors messages for the "else" statement at line 81? #!/bin/ksh ######### Environment Setup ######### PATH=/gers/nurev/menu/pub/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/mac :/gers/nurev/menu/adm/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/mac:/ge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this script

I am trying to create a script but it is giving me errors on Cygwin for the following script. Could someone tell me, what am I doing wrong? choice=1000 echo "choice is $choice" while ; do echo "choice is $choice" echo 'Please select your option:' echo '1. Option 1' echo '2. Option 2'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg1980
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong with this script?

Hi, I have this example script which gives error ": unexpected operator/operand". I need the '' brackets for operator precedence. #!/bin/ksh x="abc" y="xyz" z="123" if -a then print "yes" else print "no" fi Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rs1969
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is wrong with this script?

Hi I've made a short script but it is not working. Can some pl. help me out in this? ./123.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # for changing to this directory cd /layered/relational/scripts When I run the above scripts, it doesn't change to the above directory. I don't what is the problem? the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Gone Wrong

Hello all, so this is a script i did for an assignement, - first option greets the user according to the time after fetching his name - second options isn't implemented - third check the performance according to how many users are using the system - creates a log of names, time and ip of the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibzee33
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong on this script?

I get this error on these lines when i run this script:"for i in /home;do file2=`ls -s $i` if ;then ls - s $i fi done (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my script

Hi... I am fed up in file handing with array for comparing.... 1st I want save first 2 columns of file 1 I tried like this,, {getline< "file1";ln=$1; lt=$2}then I read second file's 1st and 2nd column..and saved like this and small calculation and initialization var1 =$1 var2 =$2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with my script?

Dear All The following is part of my script: echo ${myarray} mytitle=`awk '{print substr(${myarray}, 0, length(${myarray})-4)}' /dev/null` the echo ${myarray} works fine; however, I keep getting following error for the mytitle=.. part: awk: line 1: syntax error at or near { awk: line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)