Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk print variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk print variable Post 302520436 by zorrox on Saturday 7th of May 2011 06:27:41 AM
Old 05-07-2011
Thank you to both of you. I am going to test it it just that I just realized that my pdf files order is all wrong. The files order is like this when I run ls:
Code:
filex-1.pdf
filex-11.pdf
filex-2.pdf
filex-23.pdf
filex-216.pdf
filex-3.pdf
filex-35.pdf

and so on.....

How can I sort it so it will be like this:
Code:
filex-1.pdf
filex-2.pdf
filex-3.pdf
filex-11.pdf
filex-23.pdf
filex-35.pdf
filex-216.pdf

I think may be I can add "0" before the number part of the file names, so if the total of digit is only 1 add 2 more "0"s in front of it and add 1 more "0" if the total of digit is 2. Any better ideas on how shell script may help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in awk

i read the variable ph from file and i wanna to print it in awk. example ph=`cat tmpbatch` tail h.txt|grep "| |"|awk -F"|" '{ print "@unpdx.sql",$5 }'"$ph" i try this but it does not work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can awk print column using a variable ??

i want to print the column file using awk or cut in dynamic manner like trmp=2;temp1=1;temp3=2 awk 'BEGIN{OFS=IFS="\t"} {print $temp,$temp1,$temp3}' client_data.txt or cut -f $temp1,$temp2,$temp3 -d"\t" file_name . but it is showing error , In awk can i use variable as in printing... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
36 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside awk '{print $c}'

i'm trying to do this (in bash darwin); echo "give me some words: " read a c=2 # this is get by other ways echo $a | awk '{print $c}' # i want to print the column given # by de $c variable if there is someone understand what i pretend... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in file using awk

hi, i have store variable in $var i want to print it in $3 of file using awk. how can i do it? file : var1,var2,var3 var5,var6,var7 var8,var9,var10 . . . i want to print $var in $3 ( for example var3 or var7 or var10) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a value in the variable using awk ?

:b:Hi All, I have a part of a script below: var1="value1" awk 'BEGIN {printf("%36s \n ","value1")}' Instead of directly giving the "value1" , I need to give using "var1" in the above awk statement. Is this possible? If so, what is the modified awk command? Thanks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print redirection to variable file name

Hello, i need to redirect the output of print to a variable file name: #This is normal awk '{ print $17 > "output.txt" }' input #I need something like this awk '{ print $17 > "output_${25}.txt" }' input how to format the output file name to contain a variable? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazeeb
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print using a variable

hey, just want to ask how to do this. ex. g="hi i am john" h=`echo $g | awk '{print $2}'` echo $h OUTPUT is 'i' What if I want to use a variable instead of using '2', how do I do that? Because this one does not work: a=2 h=`echo $g | awk '{print ${$a}}'` this one also does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable won't print out - awk

done. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myaa02
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns and variable

Hi, Can anyone help with the below please? I have written some code which takes an input file, and and prints the contents out to a new file - it then loops round and prints the same columns, but increments the ID column by 1 each time. Input file; NAME,1,15-Dec-15, NAME,1,21-Dec-15,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
9 Replies
XFIG-PDF-VIEWER(1)						Debian Users Manual						XFIG-PDF-VIEWER(1)

NAME
xfig-pdf-viewer - view a PDF document using a PDF browser under X11 SYNOPSIS
xfig-pdf-viewer file.pdf DESCRIPTION
xfig-pdf-viewer is a little shell script, which tries to find out which PDF viewers you have installed on your system and then starts them. xfig-pdf-viewer tries the following PDF viewers with descending priority: - xpdf(1) - kpdf(1) - evince(1) - acroread(1) - gpdf(1) - gv(1) - gnome-gv(1) - kghostview(1) - ghostview(1) If the environment variable PDFVIEWER is set, this is used with highest priority. ENVIRONMENT
PDFVIEWER you can define your favorite browser with this variable, it overrides the priority of the above mentioned viewers. AUTHOR
Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de> SEE ALSO
xpdf(1), kpdf(1), evince(1), acroread(1), gpdf(1), gv(1), gnome-gv(1), kghostview(1), ghostview(1) Debian Project JULY 2006 XFIG-PDF-VIEWER(1)