Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursively move directories along with files/specific files Post 302520214 by bartus11 on Friday 6th of May 2011 06:16:47 AM
Old 05-06-2011
Try:
Code:
cd /tmp;find . -name "*.log" | xargs -i bash -c "echo {} | cpio -pdmu /tmp/arc; rm -f {}"

Last edited by bartus11; 05-06-2011 at 07:22 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Large Files Recursively From Specific Directory

Hi. I found many scripts in the web of achieving this. But I like to use this one find /EDWH-DMT03 -xdev -size +10000 -exec ls -la {} \;|sort -n -k 5 > LARGE.rst But the problem is, why it still list out files with 89 bytes as the output? Is there anything wrong with the command? My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Specific Files Recursively

Is it possible to only copy selected files+its directories when you are copying recursively? find /OriginalFolder/* -type -d \{ -mtime 1 -o -mtime 2 \ } -exec cp -R {} /CopyTo/'hostname'__CopyTo/ \; -print From the above line, I want to only copy *txt and *ini files from /OriginalFolder/* ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apacheLinux
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move several files into specific directories with a loop

Hello, I'm a first time poster looking for help in scripting a task in my daily routine. I am new in unix but i am attracted to its use as a mac user. Bear with me... I have several files (20) that I manually drag via the mouse into several named directories over a network. I've used rsync... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SonnyClark
14 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
       dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages

SYNOPSIS
       dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...]

DESCRIPTION
       dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package
       build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that
       up into subpackages.

Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles.

FILES
       debian/package.files
	   Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can
	   also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved.

OPTIONS
       --sourcedir=dir
	   Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire
	   contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must
	   be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'.

-Xitem, --exclude=item
	   Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed.

file ...
	   Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory
	   will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in.

NOTES
       Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher
       than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be
       told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are
       ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later.

SEE ALSO
       debhelper(7)

This program is a part of debhelper.

AUTHOR
       Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>

11.1.6ubuntu2							    2018-05-10							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)