Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users du and df do not match on NFS share Post 302519198 by masterpengu on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 10:03:44 AM
Old 05-03-2011
du and df do not match on NFS share

Here is the scenario...

NFS share that is accessed every few minutes by approx 70 systems (AIX 5.3/6.1). Filesystem space is being eaten up rapidly according to df however du numbers really never change. lsof and fuser cannot see any unlinked files on either the NFS server or remote clients. Restarting nfsd does not resolve the issue. However, attempting to umount the underlying JFS2 filesystem fails (device busy) obviously but magically frees up the "used" disk space...

Any thoughts on this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NFS share options

Hello, I'm doing a Perl script to parse the dfstab file and find dangerous configurations (rw to everyone, root access, etc). My question is, if I have a share command like this: share -F nfs -o ro=chrome:copper:zinc,root=chrome /usr/man it means that the /usr/man is "rw" to everyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
6 Replies

2. Red Hat

NFS share error

I got a problem while creating files on a NFS mounted share in a RHEL box. That is when I create an empty file, this is what appears on the screen ############################################### E325: ATTENTION Found a swap file by the name ".test.swp" owned by: jsmith dated: Tue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcmrulzz
2 Replies

3. Solaris

NFS Share - chown problem

Hi all, I had share the server Gemini /u10 to the server Centaurus. /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F nfs -o root=centaurus /u10 My problem is: in the server Gemini the the owner for /U10 is oracle:dba but when in the server Centaurus, I am not able to change the owner become oracle:dba, it show... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
8 Replies

4. AIX

NFs share AIX 6.1 and 5.3 - bug ? -

Hi folks, Just get my 1st AIX 6.1 servers up and creating some NFS shares without issues. I can mount it from others AIX 6.1 systems but can't from 5.3. Permissions etc. are OK lcppa1261 45: pbrun mount lcppa1001:/export/images /mnt NFS server lcppa1001 not responding still trying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unclefab
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Ldom Vdisk on NFS Share

Can any one tell me how to add a virtual disk from NFS share in Ldom .. i have one share /VMshare/boot.img file shared/exported from one server but i do now know how to add nfs based vdsdev as it gives primary domain cannot validate the disk. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 NFS Share Issue

Hello all, I am having an issue with an NFS share I have created between two Solaris 10 boxes. I want the share to have read/write permissions, but for some reason it is coming up as read-only on the client side mount despite "rw" being specified in the mount options. Here is what I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fallersaur
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

NFS share

Hi, I have an NFS server, i want to mount that nfs share which is having around 500GB to my client system. But my client system doesnt have any free space, is it possible to mount that nfs share in my client. Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions for NFS share

Hi, I have created a NFS share in Solaris 10 server1 and mounted it on solaris 10 server 2.But I want to change owner of the files from nobody to a particular user in client. Which command should I use. I have tried the following but it doesn't allow to change permissions in the server2 as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

NFS share and groups

I am having an issue with getting the proper group settings on NFS-shared directories. NFS server, NFServe, nfs-shares hundreds of project directories...running Solaris 10 latest patches/updates. SAS server, SAServe, statistical analysis server running on RedHat 7 with latest kernel/patches/etc.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhilinski
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount NFS Share On NFS Client via bash script.

I need a help of good people with effective bash script to mount nfs shared, By the way I did the searches, since i haven't found that someone wrote a script like this in the past, I'm sure it will serve more people. The scenario as follow: An NFS Client with Daily CRON , running bash script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brian.t
4 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)