Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 8 fresh install halts Post 302518998 by cdunavent on Monday 2nd of May 2011 06:17:18 PM
Old 05-02-2011
It happened during the installation (disc 1). The hard drive being used was new-in-box, so it had never seen a copy of solaris.

---------- Post updated at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:16 PM ----------

I ended up starting the installation over, and it worked the second time. I have no idea why it failed on my first attempt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fresh Solaris installation

Dear experts I am going to do a fresh installation of Solaris 8 on my spark workstation. Which partitions or subdirectories I have to make during installation. Which size you recommend. My installation disk is 8 GB. Cheers Reza (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

11.0 fresh install: I never see CDE Login

I've just completed a fresh install of HP-UX 11.0 on my 712/80 and everything starts up fine until it gets to the point where X kicks off and I believe at this point is supposed to launch into the CDE login. It just sits there on the blank X screen with the X cursor for a minute or so then BEEPS... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ErikTheHAck
9 Replies

3. AIX

Root password for fresh 5.1 install on 43p-140?

I've installed AIX 5.1 on a 43p-140, but am unable to log in. At no point in the install did it ask me for a root password. When it boots to the console prompt, I enter "root" as a username, and then after 1 second it cycles right back to another root prompt. I am accessing the 43p-140... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Only LAN access after fresh install

Hello, For whatever reason, after installing Solaris 10 I can ping anything within my own LAN, including the router which is also set as the default gateway, but I have no internet connectivity with it. At first I thought this was a DNS issue, but I can't connect with external IP addresses... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quadratic
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Fresh install of solaris 10 using an ISO

Hi all Im rebuilding an 6800 domain with solaris 10. Server is located in a different town and cant be bothered to drive down and install a dvd into its drive. So, apart from jumpstarting it and using a local DVD, is there a way I can an ISO image to build a new client ?? eg. mount an ISO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

RX2620 11i V3 install halts at load ram disk

Hi there, hope you can help since I'm a novice and playing with this machine to maybe one day use it with our non-profit art project (plantage9.de). I have the proper media for itanium and everything seems okay, loads the DVD etc., until it halts without any progress for hours (see also image... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plantage
1 Replies

8. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

9. Debian

Debian fresh install blinking cursor meaning?

Hello, I have downloaded and install debian in computer it is blinking cursor what this mean? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Fresh Install - Boot Load Failed

I have M10-1. Installation OS 10 from cdrom external. Here message from OK Prompt {0} ok probe-scsi-all /pci@8000/pci@4/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/usb@4,1/cdrom@1 Unit 0 Removable Read Only device HL-DT-STDVDRAM GP65NB60 PF00 But.. {0} ok boot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbahjiman
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)