Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Timestamp copying giving file path and name as inputs Post 302518905 by frans on Monday 2nd of May 2011 11:05:06 AM
Old 05-02-2011
  1. Please use code tags for code.
  2. Indent your code so it is readable.
I have indented and used the [highlight=shell] so that it is nicely coloured:
shell code:
  1. a=0;
  2. while [ $a -eq 0 ]     # Needs SPACE there
  3. do
  4.     echo "ENTER path"
  5.     read path
  6.     if [ -e $path ]; then    # You forgot a ';' here
  7.         echo "path found"
  8.         cd $path
  9.         DateTimeStamp=$(date '+%d_%m_%y_%H_%M')
  10.         echo "enter file name"
  11.         read file
  12.         if  [ -e $file ]; then    # here too ! and needs SPACE
  13.             echo "file exists"
  14.             cp ${path}/${file} ${path}/${file}_bkp_${DateTimeStamp}
  15.             echo "file backup created using file name  
  16.             ${path}/${file}_bkp_${DateTimeStamp}"
  17.             chmod 755 ${path}/${file}_bkp_${DateTimeStamp}
  18.         else
  19.             echo "file does not exist"
  20.             a=1    # no need of ';' here
  21.         fi
  22.     else
  23.         echo "path does not exist"
  24.         a=1    # no need of ';' here
  25.     fi
  26. done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs from a file

Hi, I have a shell script that has to taken inputs from a file say "Inputs". Now I take 2 inputs at a time. Suppose the Inputs file contains numbers like 2 3 4 5 Now I have a written a script for adding 2 numbers. When I run the script for first time 2 and 3 must be the inputs. When i run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying unreference files and keeping absolute path

Hi guys, I'm creating a script that basically remove unreference files so at the moment I have something like: DAYS=30 for DIRECTORY in `mount | awk '{ print $7}'` do find $DIRECTORY -type f -atime +$DAYS < ~/files.log done for FILE in `awk '{print $1}' ~/files.log` do cp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read inputs from a file

Hello; Please I need to read inputs from a file change 1 or 2 things the output to another file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a list of files from one machine to another with the same path

Hello All, I would like to download a list of files from a remote server to my local machine preserving the path i.e, create a similar directory tree. ex: files on the remote machine with path /remoteserver/005_S_0221/mpr/m1/I72128/dat/06A515T.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DOS Dir - listing of full path and timestamp

Hi, (Apologies, I'm sure I'm not the first person to raise this question but so far in my searches haven't found a good answer). I would like to output a listing per line of filename (including full path) and 'last updated' timestamp. e.g: Z:\dir1\file1.txt 01/02/2010 10:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GM_AIX
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

latest files copying over to new path

ls -lrt | nawk -v D="$(date +'%b%e:'| sed 's/ //g')" 'D==$6$7":"{sub(".*"$9,$9);print}' This picks only the latest files created based on the timestamp for that particular day.. how do i copy over the same files to a different location???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: win4luv
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help: Script to report timestamp of directories in a specific path from multiple Linux server

Need help Please help on how to write a script which can echo timestamp, size of subdirectories in a specific path from multiple Linux servers to a text file. I can ssh with a common user to all the servers from a build box. Basic idea what I had was: ssh <commonuser>@<each box> cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhichadaga
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve destination timestamp while copying

Hi Guys, I am trying to copy a file from source to destination, I need to preseve timestamp of destination cd desitnation ll file.txt Aug 17 17:22 file.txt cp -p source/file.txt destination/ I need to preseve same timestamp after copying cd desitnation ll file.txt Aug 17... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies