Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using awk loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using awk loop Post 302518064 by ken002 on Thursday 28th of April 2011 01:50:40 PM
Old 04-28-2011
Hi, Chirel,
Thanks for you quick reply.
I got another issue. I need print one more column with command
Code:
awk -F',' '{for(i=1; i<$3+1; i++)print $1,$2,$3,$2*i,((i-1)*$2+1)"_"$2*i; print $1,$2,$3,((i-1)*$2+1)">";}' OFS=',' filename

I need get result
Code:
103,8,25,25,200,193_200
103,8,25,26,,201>

but current code give me following result.
Code:
103,8,25,25,200,193_200
103,8,25,26,201>

if I change the code to
Code:
awk -F',' '{for(i=1; i<$3+1; i++)print $1,$2,$3,$2*i,((i-1)*$2+1)"_"$2*i; print $1,$2,$3,,((i-1)*$2+1)">";}' OFS=',' filename

I got
103,8,25,25,200,193_200
103,8,25,26,,,201>

any idea to fix this issue?

Thanks again.
ken002

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a for loop

Hello, I am trying to use AWK to print only the first field of numerous text files, and then overwrite these files. They are of the format 1*2,3,4,5. I have tried the following code (using tcsh): foreach f (file1 file2 file3) cat $f | awk -F'*' '{print $1}' > $f end However, I get very... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for loop in awk?

I am new to unix and have pieced together two scripts that work independently. The first checks all the filesystems and reports which are running low on space. df -m | awk 'int($4) > 75 { print $1 " has only " $3 "mb free from a total of " $2 ", this filesystem is " $4 " full! \n" }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bdawk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for-loop and NR

Hey, I know this is a stupid question, but it doesn't work. I have a file with 10 lines and I want to pipe the content to awk and then print line 1 til 2 into another file and then line 3-4 ... So my script looks like that, but doesn't work: cat grid_ill.pts | awk '{ for (NR=1;NR<3;NR++)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - loop from a to z

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to do a loop on letters rather than numbers with awk (gawk). Basically I used to do: echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i=1;i<11;i++)print i}' But I would like to do something like that (which obviously does not work): echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with For loop

Hi My Requirement is to take the sum of each column below is the input file. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 Initial i was using below command to achieve my desired result. however this was adding the row and not column. i am not able understand why this is happening awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk !seen[$]++ in else loop

Hi all, I was searching the net for a solution for my problem... unfortunately nothing so far. I want to sort on more than on column tab delimited file and keep the line if in the column I sort there is no value, but for those who have a value I want them only unique. I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksenia
5 Replies
plotit(1)						      General Commands Manual							 plotit(1)

NAME
plotit - experiment data visualization SYNOPSIS
plotit -w FILE plotit [-lp] -q FILE [FILE]... plotit [-lp] Y FILE [FILE...] plotit [-lp] X Y FILE [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
The plotit program is a simple plotting program which can draw line plots and stripcharts using a command language similar to that of gnu- plot. It can also make quick plots of multiple data files from the command-line. Wildcards may be used in the file names. The program takes optional expressions which can be used to manipulate data columns before plotting. Expressions may be as simple as the designation of a column to be plotted or may contain arithmetic expressions and functions. In the latter case the espression must be enclosed in 'single' or "double" quotation marks. Column numbers are designated by the at-sign character (@). A single expression is used for the Y axis of the plot. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print the usage and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. -w Watch the input file for commands to stripchart, or wait to read all of stdin before plotting. Only one file or - for stdin may be specified with this option. No other options may be used in conjuction with this option. -q Plot the first and second columns of each file. -l Plot with lines. -p Plot with points. EXAMPLES
Plot the second column versus the first of all three files with lines only. plotit -lq file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat Plot the quotient of the third column and the second column versus the first column of all files matching the pattern using points only. plotit -p '@3/@2' file??.dat Plot the natural log of the second column divided by the third column versus the fourth column. By default these data are plotted with both lines and points. plotit @4 'log(@2/@3)' file.dat AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu>. February 21, 2009 plotit(1)