Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenating similar files in a directory Post 302518041 by zaxxon on Thursday 28th of April 2011 01:15:28 PM
Old 04-28-2011
With sed:
Code:
$ sed '/header/ a\'$(grep record f1)'' f2 > newfile
header2
record1
record2
trailer2

That a\ will append the text at the address /header/. You could then mv newfile to f2 and sowith overwrite it. Then rm f1. If your sed supports the -i flag, you can directly edit f2 so you'd just remove f1 afterwards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating x files into a one...

... i have 4 files to concatenate but in a certain order and i wanted to do it in a shorter one line command , if possible ! 4 files : file , file0 , file1 and file2 file1 into file2 file0 into the result file into the result thanks in advance Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating records from 2 files

I'm trying to concatenate records from 2 files and output it to a third file. The problem I'm running into is that it seems like the "While" command is limited to processing one file at a time. It seems like you could read a record from file1 into a variable. Then do the same for the for file2.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powcmptr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files

HI I need to concatenate two files which are having headers. the result file should contain only the header from first file only and the header in second file have to be skipped. file1: name age sriram 23 file2 name age prabu 25 result file should be name age sriram 23 prabu ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriramprabu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete X amount of similar files in a directory

Need a Unix command to save the last 20 versions of a file in a specific directory and delete everything else. Date is irrelevant. Anyone aware of such an animal? In my test, I came up with: ls -t1 /tmp/testfile* | tail -n +20 | xargs rm I don’t quite trust the author though! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rwsherman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the similar directory

Hi I have one directory whose name i don't remember exactly only starting letter i know which is Resp. Can you please let me know the command to find the similar directory in the root. Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating contents of a file with members in a directory

Hi, I have a unix file with the below structure - CustId1 CustName1 CustPhn1 /u/home/xmldata/A000001 CustId2 CustName2 CustPhn2 /u/home/xmldata/A000002 CustId3 CustName3 CustPhn3 /u/home/xmldata/A000003 Then I have another unix directory /u/home/xmldata This directory has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simanto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find ls of similar pattern files in a directory by passing the variable.

Hi, I have file in my $datadir as below :- SAT_1.txt SAT_2.txt BAT_UD.lst BAT_DD1.lst DUTT_1.txt DUTT_la.txt Expected result :- should get all the above file in $<Filename>_file.lst Below is my code :- for i in SAT BAT DUTT do touch a.lst cd $datadir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in directory with similar names

So, I have a directory tree that has many files named thusly: X_REVY.PDF I need to find any files that have the same X portion (which can be nearly anything) as any another file (in any directory) but have different Y portions (which can be any number from 1-99). I then need it to return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamezero
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello, I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure. for example: /XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)