Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenating similar files in a directory Post 302518023 by Deepak62828r on Thursday 28th of April 2011 12:54:56 PM
Old 04-28-2011
concatenating similar files in a directory

Hi,
I am new in unix.
I have below requirement:
I have two files at the same directory location
File1.txt and File2.txt (just an example, real scenario we might have File2 and File3 OR File6 and File7....)

File1.txt has :
Code:
header1
record1
trailer1

File2.txt has:
Code:
header2
record2
trailer2

I want to keep File2.txt as below and delete the File1.txt.

File2.txt will have:
Code:
header2
record1
record2
trailer2

Can anyone please provide some help here.

Last edited by zaxxon; 04-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating x files into a one...

... i have 4 files to concatenate but in a certain order and i wanted to do it in a shorter one line command , if possible ! 4 files : file , file0 , file1 and file2 file1 into file2 file0 into the result file into the result thanks in advance Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating records from 2 files

I'm trying to concatenate records from 2 files and output it to a third file. The problem I'm running into is that it seems like the "While" command is limited to processing one file at a time. It seems like you could read a record from file1 into a variable. Then do the same for the for file2.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powcmptr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files

HI I need to concatenate two files which are having headers. the result file should contain only the header from first file only and the header in second file have to be skipped. file1: name age sriram 23 file2 name age prabu 25 result file should be name age sriram 23 prabu ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriramprabu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete X amount of similar files in a directory

Need a Unix command to save the last 20 versions of a file in a specific directory and delete everything else. Date is irrelevant. Anyone aware of such an animal? In my test, I came up with: ls -t1 /tmp/testfile* | tail -n +20 | xargs rm I don’t quite trust the author though! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rwsherman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the similar directory

Hi I have one directory whose name i don't remember exactly only starting letter i know which is Resp. Can you please let me know the command to find the similar directory in the root. Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating contents of a file with members in a directory

Hi, I have a unix file with the below structure - CustId1 CustName1 CustPhn1 /u/home/xmldata/A000001 CustId2 CustName2 CustPhn2 /u/home/xmldata/A000002 CustId3 CustName3 CustPhn3 /u/home/xmldata/A000003 Then I have another unix directory /u/home/xmldata This directory has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simanto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find ls of similar pattern files in a directory by passing the variable.

Hi, I have file in my $datadir as below :- SAT_1.txt SAT_2.txt BAT_UD.lst BAT_DD1.lst DUTT_1.txt DUTT_la.txt Expected result :- should get all the above file in $<Filename>_file.lst Below is my code :- for i in SAT BAT DUTT do touch a.lst cd $datadir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in directory with similar names

So, I have a directory tree that has many files named thusly: X_REVY.PDF I need to find any files that have the same X portion (which can be nearly anything) as any another file (in any directory) but have different Y portions (which can be any number from 1-99). I then need it to return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamezero
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello, I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure. for example: /XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies
grcompiler(1)															     grcompiler(1)

NAME
grcompiler - Compile GDL into a TrueType Font SYNOPSIS
grcompiler [-d] [-D] [-g] [-n number] [-v number] [-w number] [-wall] [-q] gdl-file font-file [output-file] [output-fontname] Description Grcompiler compiles a Graphite Description Language description of the smarts for a font along with a TrueType Font to create a graphite font with graphite tables in it. -d Generate XML debugger file. -D Generate all debugger files. -g Permit and ignore invalid glyph definitions. -nnumber Set name table start location. -q Quiet mode (no messages except on error). -vnumber Set Silf table version number. -wnnnn Ignore warning with the given number. This option may be repeated. -wall Display all warnings. Environment grcompiler makes use of the following environment variables GDLPP Specifies the command to execute to run the GDL preprocessor Files gdlerr.txt Warnings and errors are output to this file. dbg_classes.txt Debug file that specifies the classes stored in the font in terms of their GDL source and containing glyph ids in hex. dbg_cmap.txt Debug file giving Unicode to glyph mapping of all the glyphs in the font and vice versa. dbg_enginecode.txt Debug file containing the action code and constraint code associated with each pass and rule in a pass. dbg_fsm.txt Debug file that gives the finite state machines of each pass and the rules referenced. For each pass, a mapping is given between glyph and column number. dbg_glyphattrs.txt Debug file containing all the glyph attributes and their names, along with values specified for each glyph. dbg_parsetree.txt Debug file giving the complete parse tree of the GDL source file. dbg_ruleprec.txt Debug file that lists the rules in precedence order (order in which they will be tested) for each pass. $_temp.gdl Debug file containing the output of gdlpp Author Martin Hosken <mhosken@users.sourceforge.net> $Date: 2012-05-29 11:36:50 $ grcompiler(1)