Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing field from file 1 with field from file 2 Post 302516982 by jghi123 on Monday 25th of April 2011 04:46:02 PM
Old 04-25-2011
Quite embarassingly, I'm trying to convert what you wrote into the true file i'm working with which has over 130 fields.

But trying with your sample it returns 4 blank lines.

I think I got it though,

thanks very much for the informative answer.

---------- Post updated at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:35 PM ----------

Got it, stupidity of my part.

Just needed a cup of joe to see the light.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi, I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vytenis
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files Field by field and output the result in another file

Hi Friends, Need Help. I have file1.txt as File1.txt |123|A|7267|Hyder|Cross|Sell|7801 |995|A|7051|2008|Lunar|New|Year|Promotion|7801 |996|A|7022|Q108|Targ|Prospect|&|SSCC|Savings|Promo|7801 |997|A|7182|Q1|Feb-Apr|08|Credit|ITA|PA|SBA|Campaign|7801 File2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help. Compare 2 files field by field and get the output in another file.

Hi Freinds, I have 2 files . one is source.txt and second one is target.txt. I want to keep source.txt as baseline and compare target.txt. please find the data in 2 files and Expected output. Source.txt 1|HYD|NAG|TRA|34.5|1234 2|CHE|ESW|DES|36.5|134 3|BAN|MEH|TRA|33.5|234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

7. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting and tried to search this in the forum but no luck. Requirment: I have an input file which is comma separated. I need to replace the value in 4th column with another value. This has to happen for all the lines in the file. Sample data: Input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarsd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing field based on the value of other field

Hi Team, In the below input file, if I have the value 23,24,25 then for those records 1st field value should get updated from "a" to "b". I also want to pass these values in file as input as it can be done dynamically. Tried awk commands but not getting desired output.Using SunOS 5.10 version.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
14 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)