Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modifying a shell script without using an editor Post 302516309 by buddhi on Friday 22nd of April 2011 01:46:05 PM
Old 04-22-2011
Question Modifying a shell script without using an editor

Hi all,

I really wan't to know that how to edit a shell script with out using an editor..
Is there any command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying from borne shell to C shell

Just want to know a few conversion tricks. in Borne Shell, I have the line: if test -s testmap then ... fi ## testmap is a filename and I wanna test whether it exists ## then do whatever How can I convert that to C Shell? I've tried: if (test -s testmap) then ... endif but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkisoft
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying my shell

Hello, I have installed a new program called chimera under the directory /usr/local/bin/chimera. the executable is under the directory /usr/local/bin/chimera/bin/chimera.e If i put myself under the latest directiry and I type ./chimera, the program works. I would like to avoid this and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nico-hellas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a csv file from Shell Script

Hi all, I have some script that creates a temp csv file. What I need to do is do some search and replace and modify the file from my shell script. I know the commands to open the file and then apply the reg ex but wasnt sure how I could do this from a script and modify the file? Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Ex editor commands in a shell script - Help!

Hi all, I am trying to use the Ex editor and its commands in a script - more specifically within an if statement within a while loop. Here are the basics of the loop: cat $file1 | while read line do grep $line $file2 if ] then echo $line > $file2 elseex $file2 /ESI185... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help modifying script

I have a script that currently runs fine and I need to add or || (or) condition to the if statement and I'm not sure the exact syntax as it relates to the use of brackets. my current script starts like this: errLog="/usr/local/website-logs/error.log" apacheRestart="service httpd restart"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjj0923
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor

I have an existing shell script that I am trying to modify. I have about 10 lines of info I want to overwrite using text someone emailed to me. I guess what I am trying to do basically is like a copy/paste, but it's not working for me. I am using Cygwin and vi editor. I open the script and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with shell script for modifying a user

#/bin/sh echo "enter the user name" read $username echo "Enter new home directory" read $newhd usermod -d $newhd $username ;; error while executing : enter the user name Rev Enter new home directory: /home/58745 usermod: option requires an argument -- 'd' Try `usermod --help' or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying contents of the file in shell script

Hello all, I have a Kconfig file that looks like something below ... ================================ menu "Application type" config GUI_TYPE_STANDARD bool "Standard Application" source "cfg/config/std.in" source... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying/Adding in the DNS server entry using shell script

Dear Experts. I need to add/modify the entries in the DNS server and this has to be achieved using shell script and below is the requirement, could you please let me know if a shell script can be written for this task? 1. Log in to primary DNS server 2. Check /etc/named.conf if zone is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VKIRUPHAKARAN
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the shell script to select pattern

Hello, I have script which work 70% of the desired task , the output from script.sh is following , however the desired output I require is following . Any piece of suggestion would be great.. thanks in advance, emily #!/bin/bash ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies