Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Perl scripting or shell scripting? Post 302515409 by pludi on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 04:08:36 AM
Old 04-20-2011
Depends on what you want to do. For anything from SA tasks to small applications I'd say shell scripting, for larger applications Perl. Or even better, why not take up both. I frequently use Perl one-liners in place of a commandline that would use a few pipes otherwise, and use shell scripting to glue together different Perl scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comp-3 conversion possible with Shell Scripting or PERL?

I guess the subject asks it all, but I am wondering (before I go and code a COBOL module) if conversion of regular ASCII data to COMP-3 is possible on a UNIX environment (AIX 5.1)? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Dave (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I use PERL or Shell scripting?

Hello, I have done some BASIC shell scripting/PERL scripting before so I am familiar with the languages. I am not really sure which one would lend itself better to the application I have to write. I am required to scan the message logs for possible break in attempts. If I use shell scripting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two files which contains strings using Shell scripting or PERL

Hi, I need sample code to compare the two files line by line which contains text strings and to print the difference in the third file. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/Unix shell scripting vs Perl

Hi, I have general question: i have good working Perl script with .pl extension, and now I have to migrate all to another Linux box, and I was told that I can use only shell scripting, so I'm not sure how different those two things are, will it work without any changes . Is there anything smart I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
6 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Perl to Shell scripting

Hai ! I am doing a research on Bioinformatics and a part of the code in perl have to be converted to shell scripting. I am new to shell programming. Pls. kindly help me to convert this code to shell script though it is somewhat lengthy. PLS KINDLY HELP ME. THANKS IN ADVANCE. my @FreeEnergy =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
1 Replies

9. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies
xowish(1)							XOTcl Applications							 xowish(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
xowish - Graphical shell containing object-oriented scripting language XOTcl SYNOPSIS
xowish ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
xowish is a shell-like application that reads XOTcl commands from its standard input or from a file and evaluates them. In addition to xot- clsh it provides graphical user interface support for TK widgets. XOTcl (XOTcl, pronounced exotickle) is an object-oriented scripting language based on MIT's OTcl. It is intended as a value added replace- ment for OTcl. Scripting languages, like Tcl, are designed for glueing components together, provide features like dynamic extensibility and dynamic typing with automatic conversion, that make them well suited for rapid application development. The basic object system of XOTcl is adopted from OTcl. The object system enables us to define objects, classes, and meta-classes. Classes are special objects with the purpose of managing other objects. ``Managing'' means that a class controls the creation and destruction of its instances and that it contains a repository of methods accessible for the instances. Every object may be enhanced with object-specific methods. XOTcl supports single and multiple inheritance. All relationships in XOTcl, including class and superclass relationships, are com- pletely dynamic and can be introspected. Through method chaining without explicit naming of the intended method, ambiguities in name reso- lution of methods are avoided. This way a shadowed method can be ``mixed into'' the execution of the current method. XOTcl combines the ideas of scripting and object-orientation in a way that preserves the benefits of both of them. It is equipped with sev- eral new language functionalities that help building and managing complex systems. We added the following support: Dynamic Object Aggregations, to provide dynamic aggregations through nested namespaces (objects). Nested Classes, to reduce the interference of independently developed program structures. Assertions, to reduce the interface and the reliability problems caused by dynamic typing and, therefore, to ease the combination of many components. Meta-data, to enhance self-documentation of objects and classes. Per-object mixins, as a means to improve flexibility of mixin methods by giving an object access to several different supplemental classes, which may be changed dynamically. Per-class mixins, as a means to improve flexibility of mixin methods to a class, all instances of the class have access to the mixed in methods like for multiple inheritance, but without the need of intersection classes. Filters as a means of abstractions over method invocations to implement large program structures, like design patterns. Dynamic Component Loading XOTcl integrates the Tcl package loading with architectrual support for integration with object-oriented con- structs. Moreover, it provides tracking/tracing of component loading. KEYWORDS
argument, interpreter, prompt, script file, shell XOWish xowish(1)