Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10 Post 302514283 by nsusheelgoud on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:24:40 AM
Old 04-15-2011
susheel

check services then after go for #vi /etc/ftpd/ftpusers
and place comment beside of root

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 - FTP server -enable

Hi, I have turn off the FTP service and rebooted the server . (edit /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/inet/services) Now , how can I enable back the FTP without rebooting the server . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civic2005
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Want to block ftp for root user

Hi Friends, I would like to block the root user for doing ftp. As I am aware that I need to put the entry for root in /etc/ftpusers.....am I right...??? But I am not able to edit the file & even more command is not working. #ls -l ftp* total 14 -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 1249 Jun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
3 Replies

3. Linux

How to Enable TELNET for root user

How to Enable TELNET for root user in Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi_13
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Permissions for the root user on Solaris 10

Hi I have a doubt, here if a file does not have the write permissions to the root user my script is going to write the data into that file. when i executed the script as root user. Is it correct ... ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

7. Solaris

About FTP Only User under Solaris 10

Hi, I am using Solaris 10. I am trying to create a restricted user: 1. which can ftp in to and ftp out from a Directory Tree 2. which can use only commands: prompt, get, mget, put, mput, delete, mdelete First of all I would like to know, whether this is possible or not If it is possible,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SnehalRBhatt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enable "banner" for a user in solaris?

Password: Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Do you agree with the banner terms (y/n)?: y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - 'ls' green for root user only

Welcome to all. Have an issue and looking for help so hope someone is able to give me some clues. I prepared some shell scripts with coloured output to help other guys to have more automated task. Not sure if I did this but now whenever I use 'ls' command for root user every output in... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
29 Replies

10. Solaris

Root user not recognizing on Solaris-10 (shadow file corruption)

Hello, I got into a wired state on one of solaris 10 server. When I noticed that server is having some issue, I found that there were dumpadm.conf entries in /etc/shadow and real entries were wiped of. Probably somebody fat fingers. I was able to boot into failsafe, break SVM mirror, copied... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
25 Replies
FTPUSERS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       FTPUSERS(5)

NAME
ftpusers, ftpchroot -- ftpd(8) access control file DESCRIPTION
The ftpusers file provides user access control for ftpd(8) by defining which users may login. If the ftpusers file does not exist, all users are denied access. A ``'' is the escape character; it can be used to escape the meaning of the comment character, or if it is the last character on a line, extends a configuration directive across multiple lines. A ``#'' is the comment character, and all characters from it to the end of line are ignored (unless it is escaped with the escape character). The syntax of each line is: userglob[:groupglob][@host] [directive [class]] These elements are: userglob matched against the user name, using fnmatch(3) glob matching (e.g, 'f*'). groupglob matched against all the groups that the user is a member of, using fnmatch(3) glob matching (e.g, '*src'). host either a CIDR address (refer to inet_net_pton(3)) to match against the remote address (e.g, '1.2.3.4/24'), or an fnmatch(3) glob to match against the remote hostname (e.g, '*.NetBSD.org'). directive If ``allow'' or ``yes'' the user is allowed access. If ``deny'' or ``no'', or directive is not given, the user is denied access. class defines the class to use in ftpd.conf(5). If class is not given, it defaults to one of the following: chroot If there is a match in /etc/ftpchroot for the user. guest If the user name is ``anonymous'' or 'ftp'. real If neither of the above is true. No further comparisons are attempted after the first successful match. If no match is found, the user is granted access. This syntax is backward-compatible with the old syntax. If a user requests a guest login, the ftpd(8) server checks to see that both ``anonymous'' and ``ftp'' have access, so if you deny all users by default, you will need to add both ``anonymous allow'' and ``ftp allow'' to /etc/ftpusers in order to allow guest logins. /etc/ftpchroot The file /etc/ftpchroot is used to determine which users will have their session's root directory changed (using chroot(2)), either to the directory specified in the ftpd.conf(5) chroot directive (if set), or to the home directory of the user. If the file does not exist, the root directory change is not performed. The syntax is similar to ftpusers, except that the class argument is ignored. If there's a positive match, the session's root directory is changed. No further comparisons are attempted after the first successful match. This syntax is backward-compatible with the old syntax. FILES
/etc/ftpchroot List of normal users who should have their ftp session's root directory changed by using chroot(2). /etc/ftpusers This file. /usr/share/examples/ftpd/ftpusers A sample ftpusers file. SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), inet_net_pton(3), ftpd.conf(5), ftpd(8) BSD
July 17, 2000 BSD