Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fsck entire hard drive?
Operating Systems Solaris fsck entire hard drive? Post 302514074 by jlliagre on Thursday 14th of April 2011 06:24:25 PM
Old 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange47
If I split the file into slices, perhaps Linux can loopmount other SPARC partitions?
You would have to extract the vtoc fields and compute the slice offset, that's indeed doable but not straightforward.
Quote:
but still need some way to fsck it.
Why do you want to fsck it ?
Quote:
are you implying that no OS in virtualbox could handle SPARC partitiontable?
Solaris won't but Linux might be able to access the partition table (precisely vtoc) and then the file systems but your experience shows it doesn't works well. I strongly doubt FreeBSD, which uses a different UFS format, has any Solaris UFS support.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want To Automount My Hard Drive!!!

:confused: Im as newbie as they come....... I just loaded Red Hat 8.0 on my computer. I have a second hard drive that i reformatted with a Fat32 so I could share it with my XP and Linux partions....... I have like 4000 mp3's on it and i would like to get it to auto mount when Linux boots....? Or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mynameiskyle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading the hard drive

I have suns machine that holds two hard drives. I only used one. I tryed to make a lan network with my windows xp. When I tryed to restart the machine it wanted to a password. when before I just typed root to log in. So i edited the etc dir. big mistake. So now the machine will not read the hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victbla
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

5. Solaris

wiping hard drive

I'm looking for a utility that will wipe data clean from a Solaris hard drive and make the data unreadable and unrecoverable. Any suggestions? Does SUN have something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Hard Drive Temperature?

Hi, I just set up a raid Z array in solaris xpress and I notice that the drives feel pretty damn hot. I use speedfan to monitor the temperatures of the hard drives in XP. Is there a similar program for solrais? I assume there would be since the drives all have temp sensors in them, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciscocbee
2 Replies

7. SCO

Make a Copy Entire Hard Disk

Dear All, I have a standalone desktop with SCO Openserver V 5, this is used to control a machine with custom written software. The problem is that the machine manufacturer has closed shop (bankruptcy) and there is no support on software. As a precaution I would want to make a complete backup of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iqbal_siddiqui
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Kernel panic after hard reboot and fsck

Could you please help with problem with megaraid controller and Dell PowerEdge 2850, all that I can see on thi screenshot: All drives successfuly passed verifing from LSI controllers (Ctrl+A at startup), also I tried to boot from rescue llive cd and mount all the morrored drives and check... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikkadim
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

How to move the entire system to a new larger drive?

Hi, I have a problem again and I hope that someone on this forum will help me in solving it. My English is weak, but I'll try to describe it clearly. I have an old computer ( HP B180) with HP-UX 10.20. I've done the hard disk image using G4L and replaced the drive. Old drive has 4.3 GB and 9.1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftwojtek
7 Replies
efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)				    Extended Library Functions					  efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)

NAME
efi_alloc_and_init, efi_alloc_and_read, efi_free, efi_write, efi_use_whole_disk - manipulate a disk's EFI Partition Table SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file... -lefi [ library ... ] #include <sys/vtoc.h> #include <sys/efi_partition.h> int efi_alloc_and_init(int fd, uint32_t nparts, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); int efi_alloc_and_read(int fd, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); void efi_free(dk_gpt_t *vtoc); int efi_write(int fd, dk_gpt_t *vtoc); int efi_use_whole_disk(int fd); DESCRIPTION
The efi_alloc_and_init() function initializes the dk_gpt_t structure specified by vtoc in preparation for a call to efi_write(). It calcu- lates and initializes the efi_version, efi_lbasize, efi_nparts, efi_first_u_lba, efi_last_lba, and efi_last_u_lba members of this sturcture. The caller can then set the efi_nparts member. The efi_alloc_and_read() function allocates memory and returns the partition table. The efi_free() function frees the memory allocated by efi_alloc_and_init() and efi_alloc_and_read(). The efi_write() function writes the EFI partition table. The efi_use_whole_disk() function takes any space that is not contained in the disk label and adds it to the last physically non-zero area before the reserved slice (from slice 0 to slice 6 or unallocated space). The fd argument refers to any slice on a raw disk, opened with O_NDELAY. See open(2). The nparts argument specifies the number of desired partitions. The vtoc argument is a dk_gpt_t structure that describes an EFI partition table and contains at least the following members: uint_t efi_version; /* set to EFI_VERSION_CURRENT */ uint_t efi_nparts; /* number of partitions in efi_parts */ uint_t efi_lbasize; /* size of block in bytes */ diskaddr_t efi_last_lba; /* last block on the disk */ diskaddr_t efi_first_u_lba; /* first block after labels */ diskaddr_t efi_last_u_lba; /* last block before backup labels */ struct dk_part efi_parts[]; /* array of partitions */ RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_init() returns 0. Otherwise it returns VT_EIO if an I/O operation to the disk fails. Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_read() returns a positive integer indicating the slice index associated with the open file descriptor. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL An EFI label was not found. Upon successful completion, efi_write() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL The label contains incorrect data. Upon successfully completion, efi_use_whole_disk() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL The label contains incorrect data. VT_ENOSPC Space out of label was not found. USAGE
The EFI label is used on disks with more than 1^32-1 blocks. For compatibility reasons, the read_vtoc(3EXT) and write_vtoc() functions should be used on smaller disks. The application should attempt the read_vtoc() or write_vtoc() call, check for an error of VT_ENOTSUP, then call the analogous EFI function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmthard(1M), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), ioctl(2), open(2), libefi(3LIB), read_vtoc(3EXT), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.11 8 May 2008 efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)