Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to set default file system permission? Post 302513842 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 14th of April 2011 07:35:06 AM
Old 04-14-2011
You have to use chmod and
pick one of:

1. su to root to run chmod
2. login as each of the vendors, then chmod that filetree.
3. sudo as in #1 or #2

There aren't any other choices. Only the file owner or root can do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set up cron permission in Sun

Under this directory: /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ I have the following users: adm lp oracle root sys uucp I believe who are able to start a cron job. I am trying to create a cronjob under user banjob so that it can delete files older than 30 days. How can I add user banjob... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
4 Replies

2. AIX

set permission to files in /tmp

Trying to setup user to have the ability to delete any files (regardless of owner) in /tmp. I've tried almost everything... the permission on the folder is drwxrwxrwt 10 bin bin, and at one point I give all the possible permission (short of root) I can give to the user, and he still can't delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission for a set of files

Hi there, I want to change from this permission -r-xr-xr-x to -r-xr-xr-- for a set of files under unix. Can someone help me to go-about doing this in one shot. Cheers, RN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is possible to use umask to set file permission as 775?

Hi, all! Is it possible to use umask and to set the file permission level as 775? I know I can add chmod into my scripts but I just want to explore the umask option. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visio2000
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set permission on file to 777

Here is the sample code I'm trying to execute. I see that the permission on the file is set to 755 always I want to change it to 777. Please help me with this. code : #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Path qw(make_path remove_tree); my $path = "2010/sam"; make_path($path,{mode=>0777}); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hansini
1 Replies

7. Solaris

"file system is full up to 90% how can i set the file system to 60%"

hi every one "plz any one can give solution to my problem" my problem is my filesystem is full in os level i have to decrease it to 60% how can i? plz help me Thank you for your response (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivajerripothul
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set default permission

Hey Guys, First post here. I just started learning UNIX a few weeks ago. My issue: I use FreeNAS which is based off of UNIX in my network environment which hosts files that my team needs to access. Each user has their own login but we are all part of a group called "ITLIC". I have a share... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: uglycustoomer
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write (save time) Permission set

When am saving a file using my username in Linux environment, the file permission granted is rw-r--r-- I have to manually change the permissions using chmod command. How do i write it to the disk as rw-rw-r while saving my file. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avishek_rc1
6 Replies

10. Solaris

How to set multiple ownership permission on a file/directory?

Hi, Any ideas to set multiple ownership permission on a file/directory on Solaris? I need a folder to have multiple ownership on the 2 nodes servers. The 2 nodes servers require to mount a SMBFS with different user ID. Please assist. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
6 Replies
logindevperm(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)