Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie question: if[command not null] Post 302512244 by alister on Friday 8th of April 2011 10:19:56 PM
Old 04-08-2011
You can use diff recursively on two directories and use the exit status to discern whether the paths are identical (special device files and the like excepted).
Code:
if diff -r dir1 dir2 >/dev/null; then
    echo identical
else
    echo different
fi

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-08-2011 at 11:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 question

Hi, suppose you have the following line at your crontab : 5 * * * * /usr/mine/script > /dev/null 2>&1 now i understood that the " > /dev/null 2>&1 outputs both Standard outpout and Standard Error messages to the /dev/null device or file... the first part , " > /dev/null " transfers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie question

hey all, I have repeatedly seen scripts containing the following syntax, grep "hello" $myfile >> $log 2>&1 can anyone explain exactly what "2>&1" mean? THANK YOU (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question?

What is the best way to learn UNIX on the web, with out buying books? any link would be much help. Thank you in advance, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsoria1
1 Replies

5. Programming

Question about NULL Character & fgets()

Assume client send the message " Hello ", i get output such as Sent mesg: hello Bytes Sent to Client: 6 bytes_received = recv(clientSockD, data, MAX_DATA, 0); if(bytes_received) { send(clientSockD, data, bytes_received, 0); data = '\0';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

Hi all, I am sure this is very simple but I cant quite get it. I am trying to search textfile1.txt for a string then take the results of the search and append the result to textfile3.txt So far I have used $ find file1.txt -exec grep "string i am looking for" '{}' \; -print this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radgator
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on NULL and zero value of variable

Hi all, I have a stupid question on NULL and zero(0). In a script I've been working with, one of the lines is: if && then The problem I seem to have is when $Current_csm2 is null, this if block is not triggered, and I don't get why because I was under the impression that NULL!=0 Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spynappels
7 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Newbie PATH command question...

Still trying to pick up speed on the command line in OSX. I have installed Apache, and some other server software, but am having problems getting my install of Perl to work. I feel like it's because my Apache install is looking for the base (built-in) Perl that came with OSX which is 5.10. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bridger
4 Replies
ZDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZDIFF(1)

NAME
zcmp, zdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
zcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] zdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Zcmp and zdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on files compressed via gzip. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then it is compared to a file with the same name without the .gz extension. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp or diff. The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. When both files must be uncompressed before comparison, the second is uncompressed to /tmp. In all other cases, zdiff and zcmp use only a pipe. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), zmore(1), zgrep(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. ZDIFF(1)