Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Veritas Volume Manager: disk "failed was" Post 302511242 by kitykity on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 10:09:12 AM
Old 04-06-2011
Veritas Volume Manager: disk "failed was"

Hello there,

I'm going to describe a situation I've got here... feel free to ask away questions and I'll provide what I can if it'll help me get this answered!

When I do a vxdisk list, I see a disk that VxVM calls "disk4" that is listed as "failed was: c1t9d0s2". When I do a format, I can go to the disk, do a p-p to see the partition table, no complaints.

So what I don't understand is this: in vxdisk list, c1t9d0s2 is now listed as disk02. Is c1t9d0s2 really disk4, or disk2? vxprint -htv |grep disk4 doesn't return anything on that disk, but vxprint -htv |grep disk02 does. So... what disk is disk04? Does it even exist? Is that a silly question? Smilie

Thanks in advance,
Susan

---------- Post updated at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:32 AM ----------

Here's another note.

Upon doing vxdisk list disk4, I get this message:
vxvm: vxdisk: ERROR: disk4: Not connected to a physical disk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

VEritas Volume Manager command

Hi, Somebody can help me to retrieve the command to use in Solaris 8 to display the space free on a Virtual disk created by VVM ? Thanks very much, Fabien Renaux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unclefab
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to resize mirror volume in veritas volume manager 3.5 on Solaris 9 OE

Hi all, I have a problem with vxvm volume which is mirror with two disks. when i am try to increase file system, it is throwing an ERROR: can not allocate 5083938 blocks, ERROR: can not able to run vxassist on this volume. Please find a sutable solutions. Thanks and Regards B. Nageswar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageswarb
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding Veritas Volume manager

hy guys I am new at this thread , i have installed sf 5.0 and wanted to encapsulate root disk but when i get to optionn to enter private region i get this error: Enter desired private region length (default: 65536) 512 VxVM ERROR V-5-2-338 The encapsulation operation failed with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charneet
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

6. Solaris

RAID manager or veritas volume manager

Can somebody kindly help me to determine which one i should choose to better manipulate OS volume. RAID manager or veritas volume manager? Any critical differences between those two? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas Volume Manager question (Disk layout with 4 plexes)

I am trying to build a veritas volume similar to an existing volume on another server. The output on source server is: usbtor12# vxprint -hrtg appdg v anvil_sqlVOL - ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600 SELECT - fsgen pl anvil_sqlVOL-01 anvil_sqlVOL ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin313
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VERITAS Volume Manager - mirror a disk/volume

I have a machine (5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210) that we are upgrading the storage and my task is to mirror what is already on the machine to the new disk. I have the disk, it is labeled and ready but I am not sure of the next steps to mirror the existing diskgroup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extend a disk in veritas volume manager in veritas cluster?

Hi Experts, I wanted to extend a veritas file system which is running on veritas cluster and mounted on node2 system. #hastatus -sum -- System State Frozen A node1 running 0 A node2 running 0 -- Group State -- Group System Probed ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skmanojkum
1 Replies
vxconfigbackupd(1M)													       vxconfigbackupd(1M)

NAME
vxconfigbackupd - disk group configuration backup daemon SYNOPSIS
vxconfigbackupd [-l] DESCRIPTION
The vxconfigbackupd daemon automatically backs up information about a disk group's new configuration whenever the configuration is changed. OPTIONS
-l Logs backup daemon activities to the file /etc/vx/cbr/bkdaemonLog. FILES
/sbin/init.d/vxvm-recover Startup file for vxconfigbackupd. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.dginfo Location of backup file for disk group information. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.diskinfo Location of backup file for disk attributes. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.binconfig Location of backup file for binary configuration copy. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.cfgrec Location of backup file for configuration records in vxprint -m format. NOTES
The vxconfigbackup command can be used to back up a disk group's configuration manually at any desired time. The disk group configuration backup and restore utilities do not save any data in the public region. This includes file system or other application data that is configured within VxVM objects. When a disk group is destroyed, its configuration backup information (including the backup directory) is also removed. The only exception to this behavior is when the disk group is in the precommit state of restoration. The backup directory should be large enough to accommodate copies of all the currently imported disk groups. The minimum recommended size of the backup directory is P * (N + 1) megabytes, where P is the private region in megabytes (by default, 32MB), and N is the number of disk groups. The additional P megabytes is required to hold a temporary copy of the disk group configuration when a disk group is imported or a configuration change is made. The default backup directory is /etc/vx/cbr/bk. The location of the backup directory can be configured by using the vxconfigbackup -l backup_directory_path command. SEE ALSO
vxconfigbackup(1M), vxconfigrestore(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxconfigbackupd(1M)