Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Installing Generic Ascii Drivers For Line Matrix Printer Post 302510809 by garethnsolomons on Tuesday 5th of April 2011 04:24:36 AM
Old 04-05-2011
Installing Generic Ascii Drivers For Line Matrix Printer

Hi,

Does anybody have any idea as to how to setup a printer using a generic ascii driver?

We have a Tally T6100 line matrix printer which is on our network and works fine in a Windows environment. We are trying to move this printer to Oracle Linux. I've contacted Tally as well as Printronix and they say that they do not have a linux driver for this printer. They say that my last resort would be to use the generic ascii driver. all the drivers I've tried thus far print garbage.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how to set this printer up?

Thanx

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Printer Drivers for HP-UX

Where can i find drivers of the printers HPLaserJet 3150 and HP DesckJet 640 for HP-UNIX, because I have difficulties printing from oracle9 Data Base on printers of this type connected to PC's running windows in the network using Winlpd. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Printer drivers.

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server that I have set up a number of printers on which are working fine. I have set these up from the print manager and used the default list of printers available within print manager to set them up. There is two or three printers I need to set up which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
1 Replies

3. AIX

Adding New HP Printer Drivers

I am using AIX ver 5.2 and would like to add an hp3050 printer, which is not one of the printers listed on our system in the add a new print queue section of smit. I thought that I had found the correct driver on the hp website, but now it appears as that may only be for hp or solaris systems. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidG9975
1 Replies

4. AIX

Generic Printer giving garbage fonts in Arabic

Generic Printer giving garbage fonts in Arabic ! Guy's I have confgured this printer in AIX 6.1 by the following steps ... Smitty Print Spooling AIX Print Spooling Add a Print Queue I Selected from the box this kind hpJetDirect Network Printer (HP JetDirect) then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
7 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba printer drivers.

I placed a cheap USB printer on my small Seagate Goflex home NAS (firmware replaced by standard Debian Linux install) and shared it with Samba. In CUPS I set it as RAW format and Windows clients need to install a driver to print to it. I could install drivers on the Linux machine; in fact I did... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer Drivers for AIX

Hi to all Trying to find printer HP drivers for AIX version 7. HP.com only references Unix. Have drivers on an older IBM system Risc 6000, AIX 4.3, but not sure where the "tar" file exists for the printer collection. The new IBM I am trying to setup is a 710 Express Server. The printer is a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideprize
0 Replies
LPT(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    LPT(4)

NAME
lpt -- generic printer device driver SYNOPSIS
device ppc device ppbus device lpt DESCRIPTION
The current lpt driver is the port of the original lpt driver to the ppbus(4) system. One purpose of this port was to allow parallel port sharing with other parallel devices. Secondly, inb()/outb() calls have been replaced by ppbus function calls. lpt is now arch-independent thanks to the ppbus interface. See ppbus(4) for more info about the ppbus system. The parallel port bus is allocated by lpt when the printer device is opened and released only when the transfer is completed: either when the device is closed or when the entire buffer is sent in interrupt driven mode. The driver can be configured to be either interrupt-driven, or to poll the printer. Ports that are configured to be interrupt-driven can be switched to polled mode by using the lptcontrol(8) command. Depending on your hardware, extended capabilities may be configured with the lptcontrol(8) command. With an ECP/ISA port, you can take advantage of FIFO and DMA. In order to retrieve printer info from /dev/lpt0, just apply the cat command to the device. If the printer supports IEEE1284 nibble mode and has data to send to the host, you will get it. FILES
/dev/lpt0 first parallel port driver SEE ALSO
ppbus(4), ppc(4), lptcontrol(8) HISTORY
This driver replaces the functionality of the lpa driver, which is now defunct. BUGS
There are lots of them, especially in cheap parallel port implementations. It is only possible to open a lpt port when a printer is connected and on-line, making it impossible to run lptcontrol(8) when there is no printer connected. This driver could still stand a rewrite. BSD
February 14, 1999 BSD