Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sum Numbers from different files Post 302510158 by saint2006 on Friday 1st of April 2011 04:43:02 PM
Old 04-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirni
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[NR]=$1; next}{print a[FNR]+$1}' file1.out file2.out

Thanks Mirni, how i can do the same for 1000s of files.

---------- Post updated at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
paste -d + file1.out file2.out|bc

Thanks vgersh99. the simple code works. but i have too many files that paste doesn't work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sum numbers in column

Hi, i want to sum all nubers in one column. Example: 12.23 11 23.01 3544.01 I'm trying to do this in awk, but it doesn't work properly. Seems like awk is summing only integers, for example: 12 11 23 3544 It cuts off numbers after dot. I used this command: akw /text/ file.txt |nawk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iahveh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum numbers from stdout

hello im looking for short way to sum numbers from stdout the way i found to do it is to long for me i wander if there is shorter way to do it ok it 2 stage action this will make the list of number in to file sum.txt grep -c include *.c | awk '{l=split($0,a,":");print a;}' > sum.txt this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum numbers in multiple files

I have 11 directories with around 200 files in each. In each directory the files are labeled out.0 through out.201 . Each file has around 118 numbers in a single column. I need to sum the files in each directory so each directory will have a resultant vector that is 118 numbers long. I then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattywac
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the sum of two numbers

cat *.out |grep "<some text>" | awk '{print $6}' For ex,This will reutrn me 11111 22222 is it possible to add these two numbers in the above given command itself?I can write this to a file and find the sum. But I prefer to this calculation in the above given line itself. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the sum of numbers

I basically have a file where I had to do a bunch of greps to get a list of numbers example: a file called numbers.txt 10000 10000 superman 10000 batman 10000 10000 grep '100' * | 10000 10000 10000 10000 10000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum numbers of multiple files

Hi, I want to count the number of occurrences of numbers from a file of 6,000,000 lines. Because its too large, I decided to split the counts up in multiple files. So I have files of the counts of 5,000 lines. Now I want to add up the counts of all those files. The "counts file" looks like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of numbers in three or more files

I have files : cat file1 15 88 44 667 33 4cat file2 445 66 77 3 56 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up numbers in a for loop

Hi i have to calculate some numbers, column by column. Herfore i used a for-loop.. for i in {4..26};do awk -F"," '{x'$i'+=$'$i'}END{print '$i'"\t" x'$i'}' file.tmp;done ----- printout ----- 4 660905240 5 71205272 6 8.26169e+07 7 8.85961e+07 8 8.60936e+07 9 7.42238e+07 10 5.6051e+07... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script count lines and sum numbers from multiple files

I want to count the number of lines, I need this result be a number, and sum the last numeric column, I had done to make this one at time, but I need to make this for a crontab, so, it has to be an script, here is my lines: It counts the number of lines: egrep -i String file_name_201611* |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elly
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sum even numbers from 1 to 100

I need help with this assignment. I'm very new to using UNIX/LINUX, and my only previous experience with programing anything is using python. We are writing scripts using vim, and this one I'm stumped on. "Write a shell script that finds and display the sum of even positive integers from 0 to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nastybutler
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)