Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't Open Display localhost:0.0 Post 302509550 by garethnsolomons on Thursday 31st of March 2011 04:11:36 AM
Old 03-31-2011
Data Can't Open Display localhost:0.0

I'm trying to connect to my linux server but I'm having some major problems. The server had OEL 5 installed and my local pc is running Windows XP. I'm using PuTTy to connect to the server with Xming running on my loacl machine. I login as root and run the following command -
Code:
export DISPLAY={ipaddress}:0.0

I then run xclock and get the following error -
Code:
Xlib: connection to "{ipaddress}:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: {ipaddress}:0.0

The strange thing is that on my bosses pc (who has got almost the exact same setup ie. PuTTy & Xming) is works perfectly.

Please help.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-31-2011 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to open display from windows to solaris?

How can I telnet from my windows XP machine to my Ultra 60 and run firefox? I am unable to open the display using /usr/openwin/bin/xhost like I do from one Sun machine to another? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ridgeback00
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xhost: unable to open display????

I am a dba, not an sa, that recently had to take over administering an HP-UX server. Needless to say I am not in a comfortable area, but found out that of all people I am the most knowledgeable on unix here .... scary thought I know. I am having troubles exporting my display to a Windows XP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soestx
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xhost unable to open display

I am trying to install ORACLE 10g database on HP-UNIX 11.11 I am running OUI runinstaller from exceed terminal from windows PC. I have set DISPLAY=IPAddress of PC:0.0 When installer starts it is giving me error of display (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymg
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

localhost problem!

hello guys, this morning when I start my pc (gentoo) I get some strange errors about localhost. "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" ... Apache the same for my aplications, I have to use the full address of my pc instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: georgeplus
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Gtk-WARNING cannot open display" from ssh

I am trying to do something on another computer through ssh and I keep getting this:"(gedit:6169): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"I have googled the interweb and this forum and found many posts but nothing seems to work. I have freshly installed Ubuntu 8.10 with updates on the machine and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrabbit6
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Hi, I get errors while running xclock from a non root user: # xclock --- this works fine # su - girish $ DISPLAY=:0.0; export DISPLAY $ xclock Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified Error: Can't open display: :0.0 $ I basically want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish1428
4 Replies

7. Solaris

X11 and "Cannot Open Display" errors

Greetings Forumers! I'm posting a solution to an Issue I ran into this week: Getting applications to display on another through X11 and SSH. I have run into this issue many years ago and finally found my notes. Some of you may already know the answer to this issue but it took me a while to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xWindows error: xhost unable to open display

I am trying to direct a AIX display to my XWindows and I am at a dead end now! So this what I've done so far: 1. In putty settings, I set "Enable X11 forwarding" and also set "X diplay location" to "localhost:0" (without quotes, of course) 2. Via putty, connected to my AIX server 3. On... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
1 Replies

9. Linux

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hai (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: how to solve this in linux Double post.. continue here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayd
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Error message: (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: How to solve this issue in linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayd
1 Replies
XOpenDisplay(3) 						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						   XOpenDisplay(3)

NAME
XOpenDisplay, XCloseDisplay - connect or disconnect to X server SYNTAX
Display *XOpenDisplay(char *display_name); int XCloseDisplay(Display *display); ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. display_name Specifies the hardware display name, which determines the display and communications domain to be used. On a POSIX-conformant system, if the display_name is NULL, it defaults to the value of the DISPLAY environment variable. DESCRIPTION
The XOpenDisplay function returns a Display structure that serves as the connection to the X server and that contains all the information about that X server. XOpenDisplay connects your application to the X server through TCP or DECnet communications protocols, or through some local inter-process communication protocol. If the hostname is a host machine name and a single colon (:) separates the hostname and display number, XOpenDisplay connects using TCP streams. If the hostname is not specified, Xlib uses whatever it believes is the fastest transport. If the hostname is a host machine name and a double colon (::) separates the hostname and display number, XOpenDisplay connects using DECnet. A single X server can support any or all of these transport mechanisms simultaneously. A particular Xlib implementation can support many more of these transport mechanisms. If successful, XOpenDisplay returns a pointer to a Display structure, which is defined in <X11/Xlib.h>. If XOpenDisplay does not succeed, it returns NULL. After a successful call to XOpenDisplay, all of the screens in the display can be used by the client. The screen number specified in the display_name argument is returned by the DefaultScreen macro (or the XDefaultScreen function). You can access elements of the Display and Screen structures only by using the information macros or functions. For information about using macros and functions to obtain information from the Display structure, see section 2.2.1. The XCloseDisplay function closes the connection to the X server for the display specified in the Display structure and destroys all win- dows, resource IDs (Window, Font, Pixmap, Colormap, Cursor, and GContext), or other resources that the client has created on this display, unless the close-down mode of the resource has been changed (see XSetCloseDownMode). Therefore, these windows, resource IDs, and other resources should never be referenced again or an error will be generated. Before exiting, you should call XCloseDisplay explicitly so that any pending errors are reported as XCloseDisplay performs a final XSync operation. XCloseDisplay can generate a BadGC error. SEE ALSO
AllPlanes(3), XFlush(3), XSetCloseDownMode(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.3.2 XOpenDisplay(3)