Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiline comment in shell script Post 302509542 by hergp on Thursday 31st of March 2011 03:51:48 AM
Old 03-31-2011
You can also try this:

Code:
cmd 1
cmd 2
: || : << END_OF_COMMENT
cmd 3
cmd 4
cmd 5
END_OF_COMMENT
cmd 6

In this case you don't have to care about correct syntax in the commented out section.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block Comment in Shell script

how to put multiline comments in a shell script like /* Some code */ in C language? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed for multiline comment deleting script

Hi I have a script to delete the multiline comments as below ******************************************** #!/usr/bin/sed -f #Replaces single line comment s://.*:: #Replaces multiline comment present in a single line s:/\**\*/::g #Starting of the loop for checking the starting of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aster007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a multiline grep output which has been piped through sed to a shell variabl

Hi, I wish to format the output of a grep command in such a way that sed will be able to handle the newline characters held in the output. Since sed does not allow newlines to be contained in a replacement pattern, that means adding a backslash '\' character to the end of each line from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timculhane
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and uncomment a line with Shell Script

Requirement is: 1. comment and uncomment the line with Shell Script: /opt/admin/fastpg/bin/fastpg.exe -c -=NET (using fastpg.exe as a search option) 2. display = "Commented" (when its commented) and display = "Uncommented" (when its uncommented) Its urgent, please let me asap!!! Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore multiline comment from a file while reading it

Hi friends , I want to ignore single and multiline comment( enclosed by " \* *\" ) of a file whle reading it. I am using the below code. nawk '/\/\*/{f=1} /\*\//{f=0;next} !f' proc.txt | while read str do ... done The problem is its working partially. that is its failing in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neelmani
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to comment/uncomment a shell script?

cd path line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 Lets say thats the sample script...So say if i have to comment the above script, which would be the better way so that whenever i want, i cud comment or uncomment the same. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiline csv cell through shell script?

Hi, I have a text like the one given below status="Observation 1" read1="Source rows not load" read2="Score drop" I want to create a csv and mail it out in such a way that all three lines will be in a single cell but as three lines. For ex Col C1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Comment code blocks in a bash source file

Just began to learn on Shell Script. I got an exercise from my friend. I know how to make this happen in C, but I'm not familiar with Shell Script. Hope I can get some help from all of you. I want to write a bash script to comment code blocks in a bash source file. What I mean comment is '#', I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HiFuture0801
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiline html tag parse shell script

Hello, I want to parse the contents of a multiline html tag ex: <html> <body> <p>some other text</p> <div> <p class="margin-bottom-0"> text1 <br> text2 <br> <br> text3 </p> </div> </body> (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SorcRR
15 Replies
MDOM::Token::Comment(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 MDOM::Token::Comment(3pm)

NAME
MDOM::Token::Comment - A comment in Makefile source code INHERITANCE
MDOM::Token::Comment isa MDOM::Token isa MDOM::Element SYNOPSIS
# This is a MDOM::Token::Comment foo: bar # So is this one echo 'hello' DESCRIPTION
In MDOM, comments are represented by "MDOM::Token::Comment" objects. These come in two flavours, line comment and inline comments. A "line comment" is a comment that stands on its own line. These comments hold their own newline and whitespace (both leading and trailing) as part of the one "MDOM::Token::Comment" object. An inline comment is a comment that appears after some code, and continues to the end of the line. This does not include whitespace, and the terminating newlines is considered a separate MDOM::Token::Whitespace token. This is largely a convenience, simplifying a lot of normal code relating to the common things people do with comments. Most commonly, it means when you "prune" or "delete" a comment, a line comment disappears taking the entire line with it, and an inline comment is removed from the inside of the line, allowing the newline to drop back onto the end of the code, as you would expect. It also means you can move comments around in blocks much more easily. For now, this is a suitably handy way to do things. However, I do reserve the right to change my mind on this one if it gets dangerously anachronistic somewhere down the line. METHODS
Only very limited methods are available, beyond those provided by our parent MDOM::Token and MDOM::Element classes. line The "line" accessor returns true if the "MDOM::Token::Comment" is a line comment, or false if it is an inline comment. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2006 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-28 MDOM::Token::Comment(3pm)