Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK - Print partial line/partial field Post 302509206 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 09:25:43 AM
Old 03-30-2011
Code:
sed 's/#.*//' file

or:
Code:
awk -F"#" '{print $1}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

delete line from file if successful partial string found

Id like to delete a line from a file using (preferably a single line unix command) if it contains a certain string pattern. If line contains "abcdef" then delete that line. Help greatly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cronjob78
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial match and filter records

Hi, I am having file which contains around 15 columns, i need to fetch column 3,12,14 based on the condition that column 3 starts with 40464 this is the sample data how to achieve that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial average of a column with awk

Hello, Let's assume I have 100 files FILE_${m} (0<m<101). Each of them contains 100 lines and 10 columns. I'd like to get in a file called "result" the average value of column 3, ONLY between lines 11 and 17, in order to plot that average as a function of the parameter m. So far I can compute... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 lists using a full and/or partial match at beginning of line?

hello all, I wonder if anybody might be able to help with this. I have file 1 and file2. Both files may contain thousands of lines that have variable contents. file1 234GH 5234BTW 89er 678tfg 234 234YT tfg456 wert 78gt gh23444 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garrred
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the partial duplicates by checking the length of a field

Hi Folks - I'm quite new to awk and didn't come across such issues before. The problem statement is that, I've a file with duplicate records in 3rd and 4th fields. The sample is as below: aaaaaa|a12|45|56 abbbbaaa|a12|45|56 bbaabb|b1|51|45 bbbbbabbb|b2|51|45 aaabbbaaaa|a11|45|56 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax(partial) in variable

if a variable has part of awk syntax stored in it. for eg: x=if($1>100) can we substitute this variable in an awk statement. based on above requirement can we execute something like: awk '{x print $1}' infile (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 47shailesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial string match and add specific fields

Trying to combine strings that are a partial match to another in $1 (usually below it). If a match is found than the $2 value is added to the $2 value of the match and the $3 value is added to the $3 value of the match. I am not sure how to do this and need some expert help. Thank you :). file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk unique count of partial match with semi-colon

Trying to get the unique count of the below input, but if the text in beginning of $5 is a partial match to another line in the file then it is not unique. awk awk '!seen++ {n++} END {print n}' input 7 input chr1 159174749 159174770 chr1:159174749-159174770 ACKR1 chr1 ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)