Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to insert text file at first line Post 302508762 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 03:44:49 AM
Old 03-29-2011
H appen newline + patternspace into the hold space
h would replace instead of appen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file at a certain line.

I need to insert a file called temp_impact (which has about 15 lines in it) to a file called 11.23cfg starting at line 33. I searched the forums and found the sed '34i\ test' 11.23cfg > newfile That will enter word test at the appropriate line, but i need the entire file dumped there. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file only after the first match with SED

Hello, I'm new in Shell scripting but i should write a script, which inserts the license header out of a txt-File into the files in our Projekt. For the Java classes it runs without Problems but for XML files not. At xml-files i have to put the license Header after the xml-Header (?xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhoenixONE
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line in a text file

I want to insert a line with text after the 9th line of a text file. How would I do this using sed or awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
replace(1)							  MySQL database							replace(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysql_fix_privi- lege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 replace(1)