Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to insert text file at first line Post 302508696 by psve on Monday 28th of March 2011 06:50:12 PM
Old 03-28-2011
What is the 'H' command doing? Why is it required?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file at a certain line.

I need to insert a file called temp_impact (which has about 15 lines in it) to a file called 11.23cfg starting at line 33. I searched the forums and found the sed '34i\ test' 11.23cfg > newfile That will enter word test at the appropriate line, but i need the entire file dumped there. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file only after the first match with SED

Hello, I'm new in Shell scripting but i should write a script, which inserts the license header out of a txt-File into the files in our Projekt. For the Java classes it runs without Problems but for XML files not. At xml-files i have to put the license Header after the xml-Header (?xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhoenixONE
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line in a text file

I want to insert a line with text after the 9th line of a text file. How would I do this using sed or awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)