Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Runtime Statistics
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Runtime Statistics Post 302508512 by Corona688 on Monday 28th of March 2011 11:00:28 AM
Old 03-28-2011
You could try the shell builtin time. Its output may not be 100% what you want but could perhaps be manipulated into being it.

Since it's a shell builtin though you'll have to be clever about capturing it.

Code:
# doesn't work
$ time echo 2> logfile

real    0m0.000s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s
# Works
$ ( time something ) 2> logfile
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell version at runtime?

How can I check what kornshell version I am using at runtime from within a kornshell script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qanda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass runtime parm to at -f shell script

Hi Folks... I am using a ksh script to submit the at command to run a shell script for immediate execution. The shell script requries 1 parameter. Command in the script is at -m -f $EXE_DIR/process_server.sh $START_TIME $DB_NAME where START_TIME=now and DB_NAME= tnsname of Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: island360
1 Replies

3. AIX

allocate memory for shell script at runtime during execution--urgent critical help!!

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

allocate memory for a shell script at runtime--urgent critical help!!!

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allocate memory for a shell script in Aix at runtime-urgent critical

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing runtime arguments to a shell script...

hi I am new to shell programming.....my question is while running one of my shell program it stops in between to accept input from the user and proceeds furthur after giving input....I want to know whether I can set this input through some files so that the shell acript reads the input from the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
10 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script average runtime

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Make a bash script that calculates average runtime for the first two scripts you made. The average should be... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: navlelo
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Statistics

Hi All, I am writing a UNIX shell script for the Database Operations and wanted to take the statistics i.e. How much time my script has taken to complete the operation. I wanted to apply the logic say: In the beginning of the script I will store the value of current date and time in some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting: frequency of specific word in a string and statistics

Hello friends, I need a BIG help from UNIX collective intelligence: I have a CSV file like this: VALUE,TIMESTAMP,TEXT 1,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,"RT @gracecheree: Praying God sends me a really great man one day. Gotta trust in his timing. 0,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,@sendi__... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraterions
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need optimized awk/perl/shell to give the statistics for the Large delimited file

I have a file size is around 24 G with 14 columns, delimiter with "|" My requirement- can anyone provide me the fastest and best to get the below results Number of records of the file First column and second Column- Unique counts Thanks for your time Karti ------ Post updated at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikirans
3 Replies
SG_RBUF(8)							     SG3_UTILS								SG_RBUF(8)

NAME
sg_rbuf - reads data using SCSI READ BUFFER command SYNOPSIS
sg_rbuf [--buffer=EACH] [--dio] [--help] [--mmap] [--quick] [--size=OVERALL] [--test] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE sg_rbuf [-b=EACH_KIB] [-d] [-m] [-q] [-s=OVERALL_MIB] [-t] [-v] [-V] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
This command reads data with the SCSI READ BUFFER command and then discards it. Typically the data being read is from a disk's memory cache. It is assumed that the data is sourced quickly (although this is not guaranteed by the SCSI standards) so that it is faster than reading data from the media. This command is designed for timing transfer speeds across a SCSI transport. To fetch the data with a SCSI READ BUFFER command and optionally decode it see the sg_read_buffer utility. There is also a sg_write_buffer utility useful for downloading firmware amongst other things. This utility supports two command line syntaxes, the preferred one is shown first in the synopsis and explained in this section. A later section on the old command line syntax outlines the second group of options. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -b, --buffer=EACH where EACH is the number of bytes to be transferred by each READ BUFFER command. The default is the actual available buffer size returned by the READ BUFFER (descriptor) command. The maximum is the same as the default, hence this argument can only be used to reduce the size of each transfer to less than the device's actual available buffer size. -d, --dio use direct IO if available. This option is only available if the DEVICE is a sg driver device node (e.g. /dev/sg1). In this case the sg driver will attempt to configure the DMA from the SCSI adapter to transfer directly into user memory. This will eliminate the copy via kernel buffers. If not available then this will be reported and indirect IO will be done instead. -h, --help print usage message then exit. -m, --mmap use memory mapped IO if available. This option is only available if the DEVICE is a sg driver device node (e.g. /dev/sg1). In this case the sg driver will attempt to configure the DMA from the SCSI adapter to transfer directly into user memory. This will elimi- nate the copy via kernel buffers. -O, --old switch to older style options. -q, --quick only transfer the data into kernel buffers (typically by DMA from the SCSI adapter card) and do not move it into the user space. This option is only available if the DEVICE is a sg driver device node (e.g. /dev/sg1). -s, --size=OVERALL where OVERALL is the size of total transfer in bytes. The default is 200 MiB (200*1024*1024 bytes). The actual number of bytes transferred may be slightly less than requested since all transfers are the same size (and an integer division is involved rounding towards zero). -t, --time times the bulk data transfer component of this command. The elapsed time is printed out plus a MB/sec calculation. In this case "MB" is 1,000,000 bytes. The gettimeofday() system call is used internally for the time calculation. -v, --verbose increase level of verbosity. Can be used multiple times. -V, --version print out version string then exit. NOTES
This command is typically used on modern SCSI disks which have a RAM cache in their drive electronics. If no IO to the magnetic media, or slower devices like flash RAM, is involved then the disk may be able to source data fast enough to saturate the bandwidth of the SCSI transport. The bottleneck may then be the DMA element in the HBA, the Linux drivers or the host machine's hardware (e.g. speed of RAM). EACH and OVERALL may include one of these multiplicative suffixes: c C *1; w W *2; b B *512; k K KiB *1,024; KB *1,000; m M MiB *1,048,576; MB *1,000,000 . This pattern continues for "G", "T" and "P". The latter two suffixes can only be used for OVERALL. Also a suffix of the form "x<n>" multiplies the leading number by <n>. These multiplicative suffixes are compatible with GNU's dd command (since 2002) which claims compliance with SI and with IEC 60027-2. EXAMPLES
On the test system /dev/sg0 corresponds to a fast disk on a U2W SCSI bus (max 80 MB/sec). The disk specifications state that its cache is 4 MB. $ time ./sg_rbuf /dev/sg0 READ BUFFER reports: buffer capacity=3434944, offset boundary=6 Read 200 MiB (actual 199 MiB, 209531584 bytes), buffer size=3354 KiB real 0m5.072s, user 0m0.000s, sys 0m2.280s So that is approximately 40 MB/sec at 40 % utilization. Now with the addition of the "-q" option this throughput improves and the utiliza- tion drops to 0%. $ time ./sg_rbuf -q /dev/sg0 READ BUFFER reports: buffer capacity=3434944, offset boundary=6 Read 200 MiB (actual 199 MiB, 209531584 bytes), buffer size=3354 KiB real 0m2.784s, user 0m0.000s, sys 0m0.000s EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_rbuf is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. OLDER COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
The options in this section were the only ones available prior to sg3_utils version 1.23 . In sg3_utils version 1.23 and later these older options can be selected by either setting the SG3_UTILS_OLD_OPTS environment variable or using '--old' (or '-O) as the first option. -b=EACH_KIB where EACH_KIB is the number of Kilobytes (i.e. 1024 byte units) to be transferred by each READ BUFFER command. Similar to the --buffer=EACH option in the main description but the units are different. -d use direct IO if available. Equivalent to the --dio option in the main description. -m use memory mapped IO if available. Equivalent to the --mmap option in the main description. -N switch to the newer style options. -q only transfer the data into kernel buffers (typically by DMA from the SCSI adapter card) and do not move it into the user space. Equivalent to the --quick option in the main description. -s=OVERALL_MIB where OVERALL_MIB is the size of total transfer in Megabytes (1048576 bytes). Similar to the --size=OVERALL option in the main description but the units are different. -t times the bulk data transfer component of this command. Equivalent to the --time option in the main description. -v increase level of verbosity. Can be used multiple times. -V print out version string then exit. AUTHOR
Written by Doug Gilbert REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under the GPL version 2. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_read_buffer, sg_write_buffer, sg_test_rwbuf(all in sg3_utils) sg3_utils-1.23 January 2007 SG_RBUF(8)