Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Runtime Statistics
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Runtime Statistics Post 302508507 by CKT_newbie88 on Monday 28th of March 2011 10:45:43 AM
Old 03-28-2011
Shell Runtime Statistics

Hi,

I am trying to capture runtime stats of a shell script (c shell). Are there system variables to call? Or should I create a date variable at the start of the script and at the end of the script? I am trying to capture the time if the script stops or ends with error.

Please help.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell version at runtime?

How can I check what kornshell version I am using at runtime from within a kornshell script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qanda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass runtime parm to at -f shell script

Hi Folks... I am using a ksh script to submit the at command to run a shell script for immediate execution. The shell script requries 1 parameter. Command in the script is at -m -f $EXE_DIR/process_server.sh $START_TIME $DB_NAME where START_TIME=now and DB_NAME= tnsname of Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: island360
1 Replies

3. AIX

allocate memory for shell script at runtime during execution--urgent critical help!!

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

allocate memory for a shell script at runtime--urgent critical help!!!

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allocate memory for a shell script in Aix at runtime-urgent critical

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing runtime arguments to a shell script...

hi I am new to shell programming.....my question is while running one of my shell program it stops in between to accept input from the user and proceeds furthur after giving input....I want to know whether I can set this input through some files so that the shell acript reads the input from the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
10 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script average runtime

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Make a bash script that calculates average runtime for the first two scripts you made. The average should be... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: navlelo
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Statistics

Hi All, I am writing a UNIX shell script for the Database Operations and wanted to take the statistics i.e. How much time my script has taken to complete the operation. I wanted to apply the logic say: In the beginning of the script I will store the value of current date and time in some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting: frequency of specific word in a string and statistics

Hello friends, I need a BIG help from UNIX collective intelligence: I have a CSV file like this: VALUE,TIMESTAMP,TEXT 1,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,"RT @gracecheree: Praying God sends me a really great man one day. Gotta trust in his timing. 0,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,@sendi__... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraterions
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need optimized awk/perl/shell to give the statistics for the Large delimited file

I have a file size is around 24 G with 14 columns, delimiter with "|" My requirement- can anyone provide me the fastest and best to get the below results Number of records of the file First column and second Column- Unique counts Thanks for your time Karti ------ Post updated at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikirans
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)