Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup Post 302507716 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of March 2011 02:38:39 PM
Old 03-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.wakeman
It seems option B might be easier but (from what I can gather) has the following limitation: it only copies the datafiles, not the entire hard drive.
Exactly.
Quote:
So, with the first option, if the server hard drive fails, I could conceivably turn the external hard drive into the new server hard drive (assuming, as you say, the connections match).
Yep.
Quote:
With the second option, if the server hard drive fails, I would need to purchase a new server hard drive, program it accordingly, and upload/unpack the .tar file onto the new hard drive. Is this correct?
You're on a roll, that's exactly what would happen.

The main advantage of the online backup, besides that it's easy, would be that you could conceivably access the files in a pure Windows system if you really, really needed to get at them. You'd need to install something like 7zip to extract the tarball, and it'd take a long time, but you could do it.

Except it doesn't look quite so easy now since your system can't understand XFS. You'd have to reformat the drive as something else, or install XFS drivers. It's possible you already have them, just haven't loaded them yet -- try modprobe xfs. (The offline backup doesn't care what's on the USB drive -- it overwrites it all raw.)
Quote:
Do you have any preferences/suggestions for what you would do?
I like bare-metal backups. Having an entire working installation to throw in when things go seriously pear-shaped has let me stumble through a few awful mistakes learning experiences mostly unscathed. It's neither quick, pretty, nor elegant, but it's powerful. Harder to do for a complicated system, but yours only has one disk.

You could even keep the backup "fresh" in a similar way to the online backup, once you have it, since almost nothing but user files are going to change.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-24-2011 at 05:11 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID Unix command

Is there a command used to determine whether or not a machine has been RAIDed besides using 'df -k'. I am interested b/c I am writing a script where I would like to receive some sort of notification as to whether or not a machine has been RAIDed. The simpler the info returned back, the better. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuinc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sco 5.0.7 Raid Problems

Hello there guys , I have this problem , i have this hp smart array 641 raid card and i'm trying to install sco unix 5.0.7 and is says no root disk found right before the instalation is about to start. I know that you have to load the driver befor the install bud i really cannot find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

RAID 0 on Unix

I was wanting to know if anyone knew how to setup RAID 0 on an old HP Unix server. It's for where I work and my boss has two hard drives and wants the second to take over if the first one fails hence RAID 0. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmachine04
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User friendly Unix ksh prompt to type directories/files

Hello, I wanted to setup user friendly ksh command prompt, by typing first character of files or directories and then tab bring up whole word. No need to type whole file/directory/command names. Example: cat a file like university just typing un and then tab bring up whole university wod.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdurrouf
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting MSVC /showInclude to unix friendly path

Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for hours, and I've just been running around in circles trying to get this script made. I have a set of files outputted by an MSVC compiler that looks like this 1> helloworld.cpp 1> Note: including file: c:\dev\test\makefile\source\helloworld.h 1> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krad
7 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

8. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Friendly Version of UNIX.COM

Hello, I have noticed some problems with Google complaining our site is not "https://search.google.com/www.usearch-console/mobile-friendly" using only Tapatalk. So, after a lot of work, I have re-enabled our legacy mobile style and make some improvements and Google has declared us "mobile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)