Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting setting and displaying variables Post 302507272 by zhshqzyc on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 11:02:16 AM
Old 03-23-2011
setting and displaying variables

Hello, I need a little help.
1. Edit /etc/profile so that all users are greeted upon login.
2. For the root account, set the prompt to something like "Danger!! root is doing stuff in \w", preferably in a bright color such as red or pink or in reverse video mode.

Thanks for help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variables ???

Hello, I want to set some environment variables with this script: ip=$@ echo Remote Computer: $ip PERLDB_OPTS="CallKomodo=$ip:9000 RemotePort=$ip:9010 PrintRet=0" export PERLDB_OPTS PERL5LIB=/opt/komodo export PERL5LIB echo PERLDB_OPTS: $PERLDB_OPTS echo PERL5LIB: $PERL5LIB But it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gargamel
5 Replies

2. AIX

Setting Variables not working

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpandey
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting numbered variables

Normally I would post in the shell scripting area, but this is so basic I thought I'd best put it in the dummy area! I want to set a series of numbered variables. I have a loop which increments a variable called $i with each loop. I want to name variables with this number e.g. var1, var2, var3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting some variables

i have a file .NAMEexport MY_NAME=JOE when i do this at the command prompt #. .NAME $echo MY_NAME $JOEi created a script called Run.sh . .NAME At the command prompt i did #sh Run.sh #echo $MY_NAMEit returns nothing. What have i missed out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up variables

Hi all, I have a shell script that sets up the environment for an application running on UNIX - ksh. This script is run using: . ./script_name XX where XX is a parameter. I want to run it from another shell script but when I do it I don't get the envornment variables set up and the prompt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solar_ext
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting enviroment variables help

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to program in java in unix platform for the first time, so far it is OK as long as I use class libraries which come with java distribution. Unfortunately when I try to use external libraries I have to use -classpath option which I rather not doing all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: run123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble Setting Up Sun Ultra 10 - Displaying Garbage

Hello there, I am new to this forum as well as to the UNIX world. Recently graduated with a degree in Computing and just started learning UNIX & bought 3 Sun Ultra 10 Servers. I was trying to set the Servers up so I can use them; the Servers don't have a VGA card. My laptop, which I would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhan2u
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying multiple variables in for loop

Hi! I've run into a problem where my variables are displayed in the wrong order. Basically I'm supposed to use a file that has information like this username:firstname:lastname:etc:etc. What I'm interested in doing is reformating it into a something more like this: username lastname,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reindeermountai
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)