Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting will child processes be created when executing "ps"? Post 302506741 by Chubler_XL on Monday 21st of March 2011 08:52:19 PM
Old 03-21-2011
Probably better off using a lockfile with the process ID in it.

Code:
LOCK=/var/run/myscript.pid
# Test if lock file already exists and
# Send process NULL signal to test if it's running
# if so exit - cause job is already running
[ -e $LOCK ] && kill -0 `cat $LOCK` 2> /dev/null && exit 2

# Cleanup lockfile on exit, interrupt, quit or terminate
trap "{ rm -f $LOCK ; exit ; }" 0 2 3 15
echo $$ > $LOCK

# Rest of your script here

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 03-21-2011 at 10:10 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Programming

"No child processes" and waitpif

Hi everybody, i'm using a signal handler for the SIGCHLD signal. void InstallNewSigChldHandler() { struct sigaction act; struct sigaction oldAct; act.sa_handler = CallWaitChildProcess; sigemptyset(&act.sa_mask); act.sa_flags = SA_NOCLDSTOP; if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
5 Replies

3. AIX

Aix5.3 "freeze" when mounting newly created fs

Hello, When I tried to mount /appli21 with smit, the terminal "freezed" (ssh connection still active but always showing the same window, no new telnel or ssh connection allowed) and I had to have the machine restarted to be able to connect again. my volum group datavg: VOLUME GROUP: datavg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: farmer
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

I attempt to know. Why has been created the "local"directory?

Hello guys. It is common knowledge that the directory /usr/openwin/lib contains standart “locale” directory which contains fonts for difference international locales. But I have found in /usr/openwin/lib one more directory with name «local». It contains the same iso_8859_1 directory with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies