Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get evenly Line numbers? Post 302505209 by brhn on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 12:40:28 PM
Old 03-16-2011
How to get evenly Line numbers?

hi there ,

i m new to unix , i d like to ask how can a get only even numbered lines matches with the word i search from txt file

for example :

3461:1.D. The copyright laws of the place where you are located also govern
3471:1.E. Unless you have removed all references to Project Gutenberg:
3473:1.E.1. The following sentence, with active links to, or other immediate
3485:1.E.2. If an individual Project Gutenberg-tm electronic work is derived
3494:1.E.9.
3496:1.E.3. If an individual Project Gutenberg-tm electronic work is posted
3503:1.E.4. Do not unlink or detach or remove the full Project Gutenberg-tm
3507:1.E.5. Do not copy, display, perform, distribute or redistribute this
3513:1.E.6. You may convert to and distribute this work in any binary,
3525:1.E.7. Do not charge a fee for access to, viewing, displaying,
3529:1.E.8. You may charge a reasonable fee for copies of or providing
3562:1.E.9. If you wish to charge a fee or distribute a Project Gutenberg-tm
3569:1.F.
3571:1.F.1. Project Gutenberg volunteers and employees expend considerable

i want to grep (or any other commands ) the evenly number lines such as ;

3496:1.E.3. If an individual Project Gutenberg-tm electronic work is posted
3494:1.E.9.
3562:1.E.9. If you wish to charge a fee or distribute a Project Gutenberg-tm

i hope i m clear enough i tried many regular expressions but didn t work

THE PROBLEM IS PUNCTUATION ( : ) i believe bcus it reads them all as one string that makes it hard to seperate! , there might be other numbers in the line !

i don t know why this doesn t work grep -n '[0-9]*[08]*' list.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing line numbers

Maybe this question is out there, but I searched and didnt see it. To print my files I use more filename | lpr -Pprinter I would like to print my scripts with line numbers. How do I do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add line numbers

Hello.. I have got one file ... I want to add line numbers with space form starting to ending.. for example...if the file is -------------------------- sand sorcd 2345 345 recds 234 234 5687 yeres 568 988 erfg4 67 -------------------------- I need the output ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add line numbers to end of each line

Hi i would like to add line numbers to end of each line in a file. I am able to do it in the front of each line using sed, but not able to add at the end of the file. Can anyone suggest The following code adds line number to start of each line sed = filename | sed 'N;s/\n/\t/' how can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display Line numbers

Hi all experts, I am getting error in my shell scripts and i want to find out which lines is in errors. How i can display the line numbers . Is it NU command? Please give me some suggestions. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ma466
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Line numbers

Hi all, I have a file consisting of lines in such a format: separated by space and M1 EOS for fullstop (.) ] e.g M1 I M1 have M1 a M1 file M1 consisting M1 of M1 lines M1 in M1 such M1 a M1 format M1 EOS M2 This M2 is M3 an (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

More with line numbers

Hi All, How to get line numbers when we more on a file in LINUX thanks firestar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep to get line numbers

I know if i use grep -n that the output will have the lines numbered but is there a way to grep the actually line number. so like this grep -n "one" /usr/dict/numbers 1:one 21:twenty-one 31:thirty-one 41:forty-one 51:fifty-one 61:sixty-one 71:seventy-one 81:eighty-one 91:ninety-one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alindner
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Line Numbers to each line of the file

Hi! I'm trying to assign line numbers to each line of the file for example consider the following.. The contents of the input file are hello how are you? I'm fine. How about you? I'm trying to get the following output.. 1 hello how are you? 2 I'm fine. 3 How about you? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start the line only with numbers

hi, I need some unix command to replace the following thing. The line shuld start with oly numbers. If it starts with anything other than number it shuld be taken back to the last line. My file: 1234|test weye|test1|break 576|test|break|title 2369|test|line|break tite|break... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI editior line numbers

Hello All, I am very sure this a dumb question to many, but from my view its worth asking. When I do a vi on a file, on the right bottom side I am seeing something like below: 27,16-24 7% which tells me that I am on line 27 (which is the first number before the comma, i would like... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: babyPen1985
11 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplUserNContributed)Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines - Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead of literal line breaks in strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Strings with embedded line breaks are hard to read. Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead. my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Bad my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Better, but still hard to read my $foo = "Line one is quite long " . "Line two"; # Better still my $foo = <<'EOF'; # Use heredoc for longer passages Line one is quite long Line two Line three breaks the camel's back EOF CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3pm)