Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Integer expression expected: with regular expression Post 302504416 by DoxieLvr on Monday 14th of March 2011 01:49:16 PM
Old 03-14-2011
try
Code:
if [ "$val" -eq "$val" 2> /dev/null ]; then
    echo "is number"
else
    echo "not number"
fi

The redirect hides the error message.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer Expression Expected

Cannot figure out what the error is on line #10 I was trying to change my login prompt though I've success with that this shows up as well. Here's what I have (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moonunit
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

:integer expression expected

Hi, echo $i until || do read NUM if && ; then printf "$FBOLD\nInvalid number, please enter valid backup number: $FREG" fi done Getting below error : ./import_location.sh: line 234: [: : integer expression expected ./import_location.sh: line 234: [: :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer Expression Expected!?!?

Ok, so I am beggining a script to factor the time difference from when a user logs on to current time but before I can even get too far I am getting the INTEGER EXPRESSION EXPECTED error. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? lhour=$(who | grep "$1" | cut -c30,31); lmin=$(who | grep "$1"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losingit
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: integer expression expected

root@server01 # df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}' 252M root@server01 # root@server01 # cat /usr/local/tmpchk.sh #!/bin/sh x=`df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}'` if ; then rm -fr /tmp/somefolder/ else echo "its small" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected

Newb here echo "$yesterdaysclose" echo "$close" if ; then echo "stocks moving up" elif ; then echo "stock is moving down" else echo "no change" fi seems to evaluate the floating decimal correctly however returns ./shellscript1.sh: line 17: [: : integer expression expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi Guys, when i run the below script its showing error "integer expression expected" script pasted below: #!/bin/sh for i in {1..$2} do if then scp server1:/root/file.2012-$1-0$i . else scp server1:/root/file.2012-$1-$i . fi done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga39
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I have placed the script and running successfully on AIX However in Linux it throws integer expression expected Could some one please help me to fix this MaxThreshold4alert=`echo "$MaxCapacitycnt*(80/100)" |bc -l` echo $MaxThreshold4alert Error: 40.00000000000000000000: integer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajothi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need some help with this if but then it says line 11: I don't know what I'm doing wrong (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: margg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I am getting the below error while comparing the month of a file to current month. I am using ls -lrth to get the month of that file and while using the if else condition i am getting the below error.. a1=`ls -lrth abc.txt | awk '{print substr($6,1,3)}'` This gives me the month from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello , This is the piece of the code which is giving me trouble if ;then exit_proc "${SOURCEDIR}/${OUT_FILE} does not exists or not readable" 2 else word_count=`wc -l < ${SOURCEDIR}/$OUT_FILE` fi if ;then exit_proc "Word_count is more than allowed limit" 1 else... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
6 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)