Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to create a new file in a CVS repository Post 302504050 by drl on Sunday 13th of March 2011 10:53:24 PM
Old 03-13-2011
Hi.

I found:
Quote:
When you add a file it is added only on the branch which you are working on (see section Branching and merging). You can later merge the additions to another branch if you want (see section Merging can add or remove files).
-- CVS--Concurrent Versions System - Adding, removing, and renaming files and directories

That suggests that you can add files to a branch, but in quick skim I saw no examples. If I get some time, I'll experiment ... cheers, drl

Google search "add file to cvs branch" had a number of hits, not all appropriate, of course.

---------- Post updated at 21:53 ---------- Previous update was at 09:53 ----------

Hi.

I installed cvs in a VM and wrote this script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) run1	Demonstrate creation, staging, branching of cvs repository.

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
pe() { for i;do printf "%s" "$i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for i;do printf "%s" "$i";done; printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && . $C cvs

pl " Results:"
./create-repo
./stage-files
./make-branch

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./run1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.32-29-generic, i686
Distribution        : Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS (lucid) 
GNU bash 4.1.5
cvs - ( /usr/bin/cvs Nov 10 2008 )

-----
 Results:

CVSROOT
N myproj/collected.c
N myproj/main.c

No conflicts created by this import

cvs checkout: Updating myproj
U myproj/collected.c
U myproj/main.c

total 12
drwxr-x--- 2 drl drl 4096 Mar 13 21:30 CVS
-rw-r--r-- 1 drl drl   46 Mar 13 21:30 collected.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 drl drl  220 Mar 13 21:30 main.c
cvs tag: Tagging .
T collected.c
T main.c
cvs tag: Tagging .
T collected.c
T main.c
cvs update: Updating .
cvs add: scheduling file `suba.c' for addition on branch `new_stuff_1'
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
cvs add: scheduling file `subb.c' for addition on branch `new_stuff_1'
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
cvs commit: Examining .
/home/drl/try/user-problem/1019/repo/myproj/Attic/suba.c,v  <--  suba.c
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1
/home/drl/try/user-problem/1019/repo/myproj/Attic/subb.c,v  <--  subb.c
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1

As you can see just above, the new files were added to the branch. I recall getting an error message similar to the one you posted, but I could not elicit it just now. I did not try to merge the branch into main.

This is more of an academic question for me. We used cvs at a place I worked and one person in our group was responsible for merging branches back into main for each end-of-development-phase. It was always a struggle, often taking days to get everything right.

I think you are wise to stay away from branches unless you absolutely need to deal with them. If you do need them, then you can experiment until you are comfortable.

Good luck ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

backup repository in cvs

dears does any one know how can i take backup for reposirory in cvs ?? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of latest files from cvs repository

Hi everyone.. Anybody having idea to get the latest file from CVS repository through schell scripts. Thanks in advance. Regards shahid Bakshi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahidbakshi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CVS: move part of repository (branch) to SVN server

Hi all, We have CVS server running for few years with absolutely no problems. Because of conditions not depending on me, I'm forced to move some part of our repository to another server (SVN). I need to move ONLY one branch from CVS server to SVN server. The branch must be moved with all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a windows CVS file to the unix server as a svs file

I so desperately need a script to copy a windows csv file to my unix server and i know these should be at dummies but i have no bits. it is life & no job situation help please. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhegal
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Save A File As A .cvs

Hello. I have a file of text with columns: aaaa bbbb ccc dddd aaaa bbbb ccc dddd aaaa bbbb ccc dddd How can this be converted to a .csv file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

CVS repository connecting error in Linux 5.3

Hi Friends, I configured CVS Repository in RHEL 5.3 Server. But connecting the CVS Repository get the error like. # cvs -d:pserver:cvs@localhost:/backup/cvs/cvsrep login Logging in to :pserver:cvs@localhost:2401/backup/cvs/cvsrep CVS password: cvs : connect to :2401 failed: Connection... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas814
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trying to figure out the CVS repository server.

We have an issue where we are able to check out files from unix however not from windows. On Unix I have the cvs host set to /home/group/CVSROOT but when I try and access the folder from windows I get an exception that the server refuses connection. On unix the CVSROOT is a filer and not the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjohnson
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to create EPEL Repository ?

This is not a right place to ask this question but iam little bit confused. Please tell me how to create EPEL repository in RHEL 6.4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep252
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: InstallMedia.

Most of my commands are returning this error on RHEL 6 64 bit: Also I tried installing many sofwtares, but it fails to correctly work. For example I treid installing dos2unix: # rpm -ivh dos2unix-5.3.3-5.ram0.98.src.rpm 1:dos2unix warning: user mockbuild does not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: India_2014
0 Replies