Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming files in one file from names in other Post 302503938 by pawannoel on Saturday 12th of March 2011 04:22:27 PM
Old 03-12-2011
Help with controlling string elements

Hi All

Has anyone had a few moments to look at my previous query,

I'll really appreciate feedback of any sort to help me start experimenting myself,

I have a general difficulty in understanding how to control single elements within a string. An example,

Code:
XYZ1234      ABCD5678

My expected output is :

Code:
ABCD1234     XYZ5678  (swapping subset of string elements of choice)
XYZ37            ACBD1214 (making calculations using string elements)

,etc

Could someone illuminate on such problems please

Thanks in advance Smilie

PS: I'm a beginner to UNIX

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some questions - renaming duplicate names

I have a file that looks like this 2 4 10 500 tim9 5 8 14 700 tim9 3 5 15 432 john1 1 4 12 999 ellen2 So basically what i want to do is fine duplicate names on column 5 and rename it with an extention (i.e. tim9_1 and tim9_2). so the output file will look like this 2 4 10 500 tim9_1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files from an array of names

I haven’t used Unix in over 25 years … and so I am at a loss for something that should be very simple. I have a lot of jpeg files (i.jpg) of students in a yearbook.. I also have an array name(i) of their names. I need to rename each “i.jpg” to “name(i).jpg”. I believe the ksh script... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuckmg
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names

I have 7 files with 7 different names coming into a specified folder on weekly basis, i need to pick a file one after another and load into oracle table using sql loader. I am using ksh to do this. So in the process if the file has error records and if sql loader fails to load into oracle tables,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files with weird names

I have hundreds of files with weird names, something like this: I was wondering how can I rename them all keeping the sampleid and the last extension, something like this: Any help will be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming the file names in a directory

Hi, I have about 60 files in a directory and need to rename those files. For example the file names are i_can_phone_yymmdd.txt (where yymmdd is the date. i.e 170420 etc) i_usa_phone_1_yymmdd.txt i_eng_phone_4_yymmdd.txt The new file names should be phone.txt phone_1.txt phone_4.txt I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)