Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin Post 302503296 by caddyjoe77 on Thursday 10th of March 2011 06:54:24 AM
Old 03-10-2011
all great suggestions but i would also like to add set up virtual machines with solaris and BSD. Also, some flavor of linux that you like. perhaps gentoo? that will keep you busy for a while.

then get them to do remote displays, ssh, learn the disk structures, useradd, usermod...etc. I switched a few years ago and love it. its quite the learning curve and fortunately i have a lot of unix machines here, especially Sun machines and a mock up of everything in a testbed. so i can break all i want and have to learn to fix it on my own. Its a hair pulling and frustrating event but the more you know the better off you are. it gets easier as you go along, what you thought was difficult a few weeks ago is now easy.

good luck!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Admin over the web

Can some one axplain how I can administer my sco bix over the web. It is connected to a wan and the internet acces is at another location and we do have a harware software firewall. F,Ruiz. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruizf
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

Windows to Unix Admin

Hi, I'm looking a bit of advice on a job offer I've been made. I'm currently a Microsoft Windows Administrator, with good experience in this and also in Novell. I've just been offered a job to re-train as a UNIX Administrator. I'm not sure whether to take it or not. It's more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris admin

Hey Friends, Actullay we have to create 200 users in my server as early as possible . I m not that much aware abt script writing. thier is any alternative ways for creation of users ? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
4 Replies

4. Solaris

I need some help from a Solaris admin

OK I have a Solaris 10 Sparc running on a SUN T3-1 and the scsi driver is missing for the drive the root is on so it won't boot. I need to know if the following procedure is what I need to do to add the driver to get the system back up and running? {0} ok boot -F failsafe # mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
cr(1)                                                         General Commands Manual                                                        cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)