Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data Post 302502126 by Souvik on Monday 7th of March 2011 01:38:24 AM
Old 03-07-2011
Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background
-------------
The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files.

File-1
------
Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe.
Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following:

111|XXX
222|YYY
333|ZZZ

File-2
------
Contains 5,000 rows with a single field in each row.
Each row basically represents a filename with full path, as below:

/app00/applmgr/aprod/appl/au/11.5.0/resource/XXAIMG_CUSTOM_11I.pld
/app00/applmgr/aprod/appl/xbol/11.5.0/forms/US/XXARTLONG.fmt
/app00/applmgr/aprod/appl/au/11.5.0/resource/XXINVIVCSU.pld

Task
-----
I need to search for the occurances of each Object_Name (from each row of File-1) in all the 5000 distinct files (names stored in File-2) and get the search results stored in some 3rd file with below row structure. So the total no of loop iterations would be 250,000,000.

File_Name|Object_Id|Occurance_Count
eg,
/app00/applmgr/aprod/appl/au/11.5.0/resource/XXINVIVCSU.pld|222|13

Request
---------
Please provide the shell scripting method to do the desired job in fastest possible time.

Thanks,
Souvik.

Last edited by Souvik; 03-07-2011 at 02:45 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Large volume file formatting

Hi, I have a file which is around 193 gb in size. This file has tonnes of spaces and I need to sanitize it. I tried to use awk script to split this file but it gave me an error like line to long... As of now I am using a sed command to search replace the spaces; however its too slow for such a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshanw
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Gurus needed to diagnose severe performance degradation

Hi everyone, newbie forum poster here. I'm an Oracle DBA and I require some guidance from the Unix gurus here about how to pinpoint where a problem is within a Solaris 9 system running on an 8 CPU Fujitsu server that acts as our Oracle database server. Our sysadmins are trying their best to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBA_guy
13 Replies

5. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory and diff'ing very large files

(0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
0 Replies

7. Programming

Issue when fork()ing processes

Hi guys! I'll simplify my problem. I have the following code: #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <signal.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #define max 25 #define buffdim 50 void p1(); void p2();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file data handling issue

I have a single record large file, semicolon ';' and pipe '|' separated. I am doing a vi on the file. It is throwing an error "File to long" I need to actually remove the last | symbol from this file. sed -e 's/\|*$//' filename is working fine for small files. But not working on this big... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output large volume of data to CSV file

I have a program that output the ownership and permission on each directory and file on the server to a csv file. I am getting error message when I run the program. The program is not outputting to the csv file. Error: the file access permissions do not allow the specified action cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
2 Replies
DB2_NUM_ROWS(3) 							 1							   DB2_NUM_ROWS(3)

db2_num_rows - Returns the number of rows affected by an SQL statement

SYNOPSIS
int db2_num_rows (resource $stmt) DESCRIPTION
Returns the number of rows deleted, inserted, or updated by an SQL statement. To determine the number of rows that will be returned by a SELECT statement, issue SELECT COUNT(*) with the same predicates as your intended SELECT statement and retrieve the value. If your application logic checks the number of rows returned by a SELECT statement and branches if the number of rows is 0, consider modi- fying your application to attempt to return the first row with one of db2_fetch_assoc(3), db2_fetch_both(3), db2_fetch_array(3), or db2_fetch_row(3), and branch if the fetch function returns FALSE. Note If you issue a SELECT statement using a scrollable cursor, db2_num_rows(3) returns the number of rows returned by the SELECT state- ment. However, the overhead associated with scrollable cursors significantly degrades the performance of your application, so if this is the only reason you are considering using scrollable cursors, you should use a forward-only cursor and either call SELECT COUNT(*) or rely on the boolean return value of the fetch functions to achieve the equivalent functionality with much better perfor- mance. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - A valid stmt resource containing a result set. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of rows affected by the last SQL statement issued by the specified statement handle. PHP Documentation Group DB2_NUM_ROWS(3)