Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions expr to translate the date command Post 302501171 by linuxtraining on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 09:17:14 PM
Old 03-02-2011
GNU bash, version 2.05.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris2.9)
Copyright 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr command

I am looking for the correct syntax on the expr command in UNIX. I have a script that I am building at the moment. the script is creating file1 that is an actual .sql file that is going inside the oracle database to get some information in there. It take that information, puts it inside another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Translate date value to normal date and backwards.

Hello, How do i translate datevalues in unix to normal dates. and how do i translate normal dates in to datevalues. I'm using the unix-date. Sample: 1067949360 to 4-11-03 12:36 and 4-11-03 12:36 to 1067949360 I want to built a script with a question to the user: give in date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frederik
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date=`/usr/ucb/expr $date1 - 1`

Hi I need to subtract one day from date1=`/bin/date +%d` So I used date=`/usr/ucb/expr $date1 - 1` The only thing is if date1 is a single digit like 08, date will be 8 instead of 08. How can I avoid losing 0? Thanks for all your help!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr command

hi guys.... i hava a command expr... where i m adding a value in a loop like Tc=`expr $Tc\+ $l` where Tc is declred as a variable and every time l contains a new vaue if Tc =0 initially and l =2 Tc should be equal to 0+ 2 and then l = 4 Tc = 2+4 and dispaly as 6 but after... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using the expr command

Hi friends how can i execute expr $va1 * $var2 provided i m not supposed to use '/' also the nglob variable is turned off. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate decimal into date

Hello, what can I do to convert a decimal number (001-366) into the day of the year it represent in the format of mm-dd-yyyy ? I know about the date +%j, it gives me the number for the current date, what about a reverse of this, is there such a thing? My number resides in a var, what can I do to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr command

Hi Can anyone explain me the usage of this command and the arguments used here and what will be the expected output : v_num=`expr nav_d_20100204_1759 : '*\(*\)'` what will be the value returned in v_num. Thanks in Advance!!! Regards Naveen Purbia (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trying_myluck
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr command help

I'm trying to check if a variable'd string is only one character and use that in an if statement the only way I could find is: $expr "${var}" : . # expr STRING : regrep where the "." is the grep wildcard for any single character. Whats wrong with my code here and is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tewg
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to translate multiple spaces into a single space using tr command?

I am trying to read a txt file and trying to translate multiples spaces into single spaces so the file is more organized, but whenever I try the command: tr ' ' ' ' w.txt The output is: tr: extra operand `w.txt' Try `tr --help' for more information. Can someone please help? :wall: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of tr command to translate after 1st character of each line in a file

Hello, I have an input file contaning following data: < 12345;5454;77;qwert< yuyuy;ruwuriwru> yyyw; > 35353;68686;424242;hrjwhrwrwy< dgdgd; I have first character as '<' or '>'and after that one space is their in each line I just want to replace 1st space encountered after < or >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi001cse
3 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)