Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed insert text at first line of empty file Post 302497756 by Franklin52 on Friday 18th of February 2011 02:12:36 AM
Old 02-18-2011
Why don't you use echo or is this a homework assignment?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last empty/blank line of the text file

Hi All, I have a file.txt which seems like having three lines. wc -l file.txt 3 file.txt In fact, once it is open in text editor, this file has four lines where the last line is empty. how can i delete this last empty line of the file.txt? I tried the codes below so far but they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into empty file

I have an awk script to extract data from several files and create output in the following format as a csv file: xxxx 01/04/12 0001 0 When data is present, I have a file. When no data is available in the input files, I would still like to create a file that looks like this: xxxx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: banjo25
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - insert text if column empty

Hi, I want to insert the text 'Unknown' in 2 specific columns in a csv file (actually | separated) if the column is blank. Its always the same columns. I have tried using sed: sed "s/||/|Unknown|/g" but there are occasion where other fields are blank and they need to be left blank. This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)