Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed insert text at first line of empty file Post 302497747 by Ygor on Friday 18th of February 2011 01:39:50 AM
Old 02-18-2011
I think sed only works on lines. A zero-byte file has no lines, so that could be the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last empty/blank line of the text file

Hi All, I have a file.txt which seems like having three lines. wc -l file.txt 3 file.txt In fact, once it is open in text editor, this file has four lines where the last line is empty. how can i delete this last empty line of the file.txt? I tried the codes below so far but they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into empty file

I have an awk script to extract data from several files and create output in the following format as a csv file: xxxx 01/04/12 0001 0 When data is present, I have a file. When no data is available in the input files, I would still like to create a file that looks like this: xxxx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: banjo25
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - insert text if column empty

Hi, I want to insert the text 'Unknown' in 2 specific columns in a csv file (actually | separated) if the column is blank. Its always the same columns. I have tried using sed: sed "s/||/|Unknown|/g" but there are occasion where other fields are blank and they need to be left blank. This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c nbytes ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or bytes, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and bytes from 0. Tail is ignorant of UTF. TAIL(1)