Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Division problem -Awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Division problem -Awk Post 302496928 by rdcwayx on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 06:40:28 PM
Old 02-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Code:
awk '!$1 || !$2 || !$3 || !$4 {print "0";next}{print (($1/$2)/($3/$4))}' file

I still get the error:

Code:
$ awk '!$1 || !$2 || !$3 || !$4 {print "0";next}{print (($1/$2)/($3/$4))}' infile
awk: (FILENAME=infile FNR=1) fatal: division by zero attempted

Try this:

Code:
$ awk 'NR>1{print (!$1 || !$2 || !$3 || !$4)? "0":($1/$2)/($3/$4)}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

division problem

how can i show the value when i divide a number where the dividend is greater then the divisor. for example... 3 divided by 15 ---> let x=3/15 when i do this in the shell environment it gives me an output of 0. please help me. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in division

hi I am having two variables namely a=7 & b=8. I have to subtract these two variables. I am using the command c=`expr $a / $b` When I check the value of c, it comes out to be zero. Please help. Regards Rochit (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Division and modulus

I need to read the file divide 3 column with 2nd and run a modulus of 10 and check whether the remainder is zero or not if not print the entire line. cat filename | awk '{ if ($3 / $2 % 10 != 0) print $0}' Whats wrong with it ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash map Illegal division by zero problem

Hi Everyone, a.txt line1;a;33 line1;c;22 line1;b;0 line1;a;55 a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @sorted=(); my @tmp; my $FA; my @F; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk: division by zero

I received error "awk: division by zero" while executing the following statement. SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M echo 8 | awk 'END {printf ("%d\n",NR/$1 + 0.5);}' file1.lst awk: division by zero Can someone provide solution? Thanks Please use code... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar77
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk division error - 0

input 0 0 9820373 2069 0 0 11485482 awk '{print ($1/$3) / ($4/$7)}' input error Is there any way to fix this problem ? (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & division

vmstat|awk '{print $3}'|tail -1 returns 6250511, but what I need is 24416, which is 6250511 divided by 256. Please advise. Thank you so much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables division with awk

hello i try to divide 2 variables in order to get a percentage--that's why i'm not interested in integer division--but nothing seems to work I think awk is suitable for this but i'm not quite sure how to use it.. any ideas? here's what I want to do: percentage = varA/varB thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Division with condition

Hi Friends, I have an input file like this cat input chr1 100 200 1 2 chr1 120 130 na 1 chr1 140 160 1 na chr1 170 180 na na chr1 190 220 0 0 chr1 220 230 nd 1 chr2 330 400 1 nd chr2 410 450 nd nd chr3 500 700 1 1 I want to calculate the division of 4th and 5th columns. But, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Division By Zero Bypass

Hi Friends, I don't understand why "a" is always being printed as zero, when I execute the following command. awk '{if($6||$8||$10||$12==0)a=b=c=d=0;else (a=$5/$6);(b=$7/$8);(c=$9/$10);(d=$11/$12); {print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies
IO::Async::PID(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       IO::Async::PID(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::PID" - event callback on exit of a child process SYNOPSIS
use IO::Async::PID; use POSIX qw( WEXITSTATUS ); use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my $kid = $loop->fork( code => sub { print "Child sleeping.. "; sleep 10; print "Child exiting "; return 20; }, ); print "Child process $kid started "; my $pid = IO::Async::PID->new( pid => $kid, on_exit => sub { my ( $self, $exitcode ) = @_; printf "Child process %d exited with status %d ", $self->pid, WEXITSTATUS($exitcode); }, ); $loop->add( $pid ); $loop->run; DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Notifier invokes its callback when a process exits. For most use cases, a IO::Async::Process object provides more control of setting up the process, connecting filehandles to it, sending data to and receiving data from it. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_exit $exitcode Invoked when the watched process exits. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": pid => INT The process ID to watch. Must be given before the object has been added to the containing "IO::Async::Loop" object. on_exit => CODE CODE reference for the "on_exit" event. Once the "on_exit" continuation has been invoked, the "IO::Async::PID" object is removed from the containing "IO::Async::Loop" object. METHODS
$process_id = $pid->pid Returns the underlying process ID $pid->kill( $signal ) Sends a signal to the process AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::PID(3pm)