Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a daemon to run in background Post 302496339 by ukndoit on Sunday 13th of February 2011 05:11:41 PM
Old 02-13-2011
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I was given this code to just put inside those cgi scripts since they are simple redirect scripts for the replication that verifies a members username and then redirects them to the appropriate page, it should be done instantly, so for sure within 2 seconds, so what we did was add a simple alarm to the top of the script to tell it after 3 seconds process the alarm, which processes a subroutine to kill the current process... I added that to the scripts and it worked. So I do not need to create this now.

I really appreciate all your help.
Thank you for your time. I did learn something about shell too. thanks for that.

Richard

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applicatoin cannot started, becos daemon did not run

hi, i had an applicatoin which is not running cos one of its daemon is not running.. i get the applicatoin to run by running the daemon first... its manual job... so quite cumbersome.. i have backups in the night, with the crontab -l entry with logs written. the logs indicated successful... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Daemon??

How in the world do you create a daemon and get it to start with a startup script? could someone tell me in detail im going nuts...thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmajin
1 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a Daemon

how to convert a c program into a Daemon. thanks in advance svh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I would like to know Would you run the ‘identd’ daemon on UNIX servers?

Would you run the ‘identd' daemon on UNIX servers? can you please Explain. thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script as a daemon

I have simple shell script that I run as cron job every hour of the day. I would like to make it a daemon that runs far more frequently like every 30 seconds or so, but I have never made daemon before. How can I do this? -Sam (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sammy_T
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

créating a daemon under unix

hi i want to create a daemon under unix or linux but i don't really know how so i will be grateful if you provide me links with examples or /andx how to do it thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: student00
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating background process for my shell

I actually posted this problem on a different forum, but figured this would be a more appropriate place to post it. OK so I've created my own shell, but I can't get the background process function to run properly! What I want to do is to run a process in the background, and also print when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansel13
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

background scripts run-help

Looking for a logic where say i have a script called parent_script which is used to call other 4 to 5 child scripts in background as.. cat parent_script # containing 65 lines 1 2 .. 35 while read child_script 36 do 37 ./child_script_name& 38 done< ${SCRIPT_LISTS} 39 40 # Need to have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

run this script as a daemon process

Hi, HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to run as a daemon

Hi, I have one query that is suppose if I have a script that pick up some files from source folder and put it into destination folder , and I want this script to run after every 1 hour, to make it configurable as per that I have options like crontab and nohup but when I test this script I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
2 Replies
NETDUMP-SERVER(8)						  System Programs						 NETDUMP-SERVER(8)

NAME
netdump-server - handle crash dumps over the network SYNOPSIS
netdump-server [--port portnumber] [--concurrent number] [--pidfile path] [--daemon] [--help] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
Listens to the network for clients that crashes and uses the netdump protocol to recieve a memory dump and a stack trace. The memory dump and oops message are stored in a timestamped directory in /var/crash. The server can also run scripts when some events happen. OPTIONS
--port portnumber Specifies the IP port number for the netdump server to listen to. The default is 6666. --concurrent number You can limit the amount of concurrent dumps being done at any one time. If more clients than the specified maximum connects at one time the last ones will just be logged and then rebooted. --pidfile path Store a pidfile. The default service uses /var/run/ttywatch.pid. The default is not to write a pidfile. --daemon ttywatch should background itself and run as a daemon. EXAMPLES
netdump-server --daemon This launches the netdump-server and puts it in the background, listening for crashed clients. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 for a clean exit and non-0 for a non-clean exit. FILES
/etc/netdump.conf A configuration file read by netdump-server on startup. It is a "key=value" style file. Currently it supports the options: port, max_concurrent_dumps, daemon and pidfile. /etc/init.d/netdump-server An init script to start a default system installation of netdump-server. This is normally turned off by default; use the command /sbin/chkconfig netdump-server on to enable the netdump-server service. /var/crash The main directory where the crash dump files are stored. Each dump is put in a subdirectory named with the ip of the crashed machine and the date and time of the crash. /var/crash/scripts This directory can contain scripts that are run at various times. They all get passed the ip of the crashing machine as the first argument, and each one except netdump-start gets the directory that the dump is written into as the second argument. netdump-start - This is called when a client connects to the server to tell it that it has just started the netdump client. This normally means that the machine just booted up. netdump-crash - This is run when a client reports that it has crashed. If it returns a non-zero value the dump request will be ignored and the client will be told to reboot immediately netdump-nospace - This is run when there is not enough diskspace for the dump of the crashed machine. If this script exits with a non-zero return value netdump-server will try once again (but only once) before giving up the dump. If this script exits with a zero return value, netdump-server will reboot the client without performing a dump. netdump-reboot - This is run when netdump-server is finished with a client and is about to tell the client to reboot itself. SEE ALSO
netdump(8) BUGS
Report any bugs you find to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla AUTHOR
Alexander Larsson <alexl@redhat.com> Linux 14 Feb 2002 NETDUMP-SERVER(8)