Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting Post 302495505 by Pouchie1 on Thursday 10th of February 2011 12:21:02 PM
Old 02-10-2011
That was good advice and I really appreciate it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comp-3 conversion possible with Shell Scripting or PERL?

I guess the subject asks it all, but I am wondering (before I go and code a COBOL module) if conversion of regular ASCII data to COMP-3 is possible on a UNIX environment (AIX 5.1)? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Dave (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I use PERL or Shell scripting?

Hello, I have done some BASIC shell scripting/PERL scripting before so I am familiar with the languages. I am not really sure which one would lend itself better to the application I have to write. I am required to scan the message logs for possible break in attempts. If I use shell scripting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two files which contains strings using Shell scripting or PERL

Hi, I need sample code to compare the two files line by line which contains text strings and to print the difference in the third file. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/Unix shell scripting vs Perl

Hi, I have general question: i have good working Perl script with .pl extension, and now I have to migrate all to another Linux box, and I was told that I can use only shell scripting, so I'm not sure how different those two things are, will it work without any changes . Is there anything smart I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
6 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Perl to Shell scripting

Hai ! I am doing a research on Bioinformatics and a part of the code in perl have to be converted to shell scripting. I am new to shell programming. Pls. kindly help me to convert this code to shell script though it is somewhat lengthy. PLS KINDLY HELP ME. THANKS IN ADVANCE. my @FreeEnergy =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
1 Replies

9. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

10. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies
MADVISE(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise - give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *start, size_t length, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise system call advises the kernel about how to handle paging input/output in the address range beginning at address start and with size length bytes. It allows an application to tell the kernel how it expects to use some mapped or shared memory areas, so that the kernel can choose appropriate read-ahead and caching techniques. This call does not influence the semantics of the application (except in the case of MADV_DONTNEED), but may influence its performance. The kernel is free to ignore the advice. The advice is indicated in the advice parameter which can be MADV_NORMAL No special treatment. This is the default. MADV_RANDOM Expect page references in random order. (Hence, read ahead may be less useful than normally.) MADV_SEQUENTIAL Expect page references in sequential order. (Hence, pages in the given range can be aggressively read ahead, and may be freed soon after they are accessed.) MADV_WILLNEED Expect access in the near future. (Hence, it might be a good idea to read some pages ahead.) MADV_DONTNEED Do not expect access in the near future. (For the time being, the application is finished with the given range, so the kernel can free resources associated with it.) Subsequent accesses of pages in this range will succeed, but will result either in re-loading of the memory contents from the underlying mapped file (see mmap) or zero-fill-on-demand pages for mappings without an underlying file. RETURN VALUE
On success madvise returns zero. On error, it returns -1 and errno is set appropiately. ERRORS
EINVAL the value len is negative, start is not page-aligned, advice is not a valid value, or the application is attempting to release locked or shared pages (with MADV_DONTNEED). ENOMEM addresses in the specified range are not currently mapped, or are outside the address space of the process. ENOMEM (for MADV_WILLNEED) Not enough memory - paging in failed. EIO (for MADV_WILLNEED) Paging in this area would exceed the process's maximum resident set size. EBADF the map exists, but the area maps something that isn't a file. EAGAIN a kernel resource was temporarily unavailable. LINUX NOTES
The current Linux implementation (2.4.0) views this system call more as a command than as advice and hence may return an error when it can- not do what it usually would do in response to this advice. (See the ERRORS description above.) This is nonstandard behaviour. The Linux implementation requires that the address start be page-aligned, and allows length to be zero. If there are some parts of the specified address range that are not mapped, the Linux version of madvise ignores them and applies the call to the rest (but returns ENOMEM from the system call, as it should). HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b (POSIX.4). POSIX 1003.1-2001 describes posix_madvise with constants POSIX_MADV_NORMAL, etc., with a behaviour close to that described here. There is a similar posix_fadvise for file access. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2), mmap(2), mincore(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2) Linux 2.4.5 2001-06-10 MADVISE(2)