Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk built-in variable for input file Post 302494890 by Det7 on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 06:55:33 PM
Old 02-08-2011
awk built-in variable for input file

Hi guys,

Does awk have a built-in variable which I can use to display the input file it's currently reading?

I'm currently concatenating multiple files using awk and later on do some parsing. But for now, I want to add an extra column in the main output data file - basically putting in the file name it's currently reading.

E.g.

Input1.txt
brandon USA
sherley Russia

Input2.txt
Albert Alaska

Output.txt
brandon USA Input1.txt
sherley Russia Input1.txt
Albert Alaska Input2.txt

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Input a variable and write to a file using awk

Hi I am trying to edit a csv file. Bacically I need to input a search variable and the value that must be changed in one of the fields corresponding to that searched variable. My csv file looks like so: 1,1A,5 1,1B,2 1,1C,3 2,2A,7 2,2B,4 2,2C,0 3,3A,1 3,3B,6 3,3C,4 I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable assignments specified with eval shell built-in

According to the POSIX specifications eval is a special shell built-in, which should imply that variable assignments specified together with it should remain in effect after the built-in completes. Thus one would expect IFS to be changed after this: var=$'a\nb c' $ IFS=$'\n' eval ' for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline in my script-built shell variable

Hi all, I'm not exactly a shell script guru, so this is probably a very silly question and I'm not seeing the point, but you know, sometimes it happens... I have this script which adds entries to local arp cache using it to find the corresponding IP address. # export MAC=00:25:90:34:3d:f2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: micantox
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable as input to awk command

Hi Gurus, I need a suggestion, please help. I have a input file as below : abc.txt : * xxxx: 00000 xxxxx: 00000 xxxx: RANDOM xxx: RANDOM **************************xxxxxxx*** * abc ****************************** abc: abc: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

6. Programming

take input from a variable as pattern to awk

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to take contents of a variable as a pattern for awk command. Am doing as below, but doesnt get any output: $c = "Tue Dec"; $log = ` awk '/ \$c /' in.txt`; print $log; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an input file to AWK comand

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files using awk, which I can do by using: awk 'NR==FNR{a;next} (NR > 32 && $2 in a) {print $0}' File1 and File2. If the name of the File1 is in another file (for example, column 4 in File 3) then how can I pass this column 4 to the awk command. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a awk script with variable and input filename

HI, MY question is a very simple one: if i want to call an awk script with the input file name and also pass a variable value , then how to do it. #>awk -f my_script.awk -v variable=value my_inputfile.txt I can't do it like this. throws error: awk: my_script.awk:18:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML variable for input in same input file

Dear All , i stuck in one problem executing xml .. i have input xml as <COMMAND name="ARRANGEMENT.WRITE" timestamp="0" so="initial"> <SVLOBJECT> <LONG name="CSP_PMNT_ID" val="-1"/> <MONEY name="CSP_CEILING" amount="0.0" currency="AUD"/> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable input to awk script

Hi guys, I wrote the following function to compare two csv files column by column. However, sometimes the input needs to be sorted before parsing it to awk. I can do this by changing the awk arguments, but I would like to make this variable if possible. The below doesn't work since the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies
trcs(1) 							   User Manuals 							   trcs(1)

NAME
trcs - convert text files from one codeset to other SYNOPSIS
trcs -C | -l | -h trcs [-s] [-f input-codeset ] [-t output-codeset ] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
trcs is a program for translation of text files from one codeset to other. When exact translation is impossible it tries to make approxi- mations. For example pseudographic characters are approximated by ASCII characters in codesets that have no pseudographic characters and characters with diacritical marks are approximated by existing characters. If the option -s or --gen-script is given trcs will generate simple script that invokes tr(1) This is useful if you want to include this in your script or for faster conversion of many files. If none of -C, -s, -l, -h and their equivalents is given each file will be read assuming it is coded with codeset input-codeset On standard output it will be recoded so to use codeset output-codeset If there is no file given trcs will act as filter. Both input-codeset and out- put-codeset are case insensitive and default to `cp1251'. OPTIONS
-C, --copyright Display copying conditions and warranty information. -s, --gen-script Generates conversion script for given input and output encodings instead to convert text files. -l, --list List all known codesets with their aliases. -h, --help Display this help and exit. -f input-codeset, --from[=]input-codeset Codeset of the source. -f output-codeset, --to[=]output-codeset Codeset of the output. EXAMPLES
trcs -fcyrillic -t koi8-r letter.txt Convert letter.txt from ISO-8859-5 (cyrillic) to KOI8-R and output the result on standard output. trcs --from cp437 --to=mik --gen-script >ibm2mik Generates script ibm2mik for converting from CP437 to MIK. sh ibm2mik screen.txt Convert screen.txt from CP437 to MIK. Output the result on standard output. Without parameters ibm2mik acts as filter. AUTHOR
Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>, <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> SEE ALSO
tr(1) Linux JUN 2000 trcs(1)