Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie & LPAR
Operating Systems AIX Newbie & LPAR Post 302493285 by zaxxon on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 10:02:47 AM
Old 02-02-2011
There is a feature called Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT) which adds a 2nd hardware thread, that is being shown in some tools as another CPU. Usually they are referred to as "Logical CPUs".
To see a list of the Logical CPU distribution, type smtctl.
With AIX 7 installed on p7, you have even 3 additional CPU threads per Virtual CPU, which will give you 4 Logical CPUs per Virtual CPU when SMT is enabled.

If you got more AIX particular questions, I suggest posting them in the AIX subforum here next time so they have a higher chance to get an answer. Moving this thread there.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie ? Need Help with If/Then & Line Breaks...

I hope this makes sense, but I need help with what is indicated with %%, below : A.) ####List active servers and send to file#### # ps -ef | grep jboss | grep sh | awk '{if ($14) {print $12;}else {print $11}}' | sort > /export/home/kthatch/script_results client302 client306 client309... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kthatch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie help with New Line & Blank Line

I have this in my script: usercount=`ldapsearch -L -b"ou=people,ou=$ou,dc=paisleyhosting,dc=com" -h"$server" -p"1391" cn=* nothing | grep -c dn` admincount=`ldapsearch -b"ou=groups,ou=$ou,dc=paisleyhosting,dc=com" -h"$server" -p"1391" cn=USERADMIN* uniquemember | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

5. SCO

newbie - CUPS installation & C compiler

Ok new in here so be gentle: I'm a programmer with the need to also be a sys admin on a box running: Client has purchased a Kyocera KM-4035 do it all machine. However, no driver exists for SCO and when I contacted their Kyocera rep he told me to install CUPS. I downloaded CUPS and ran... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbxguy
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

newbie: Linux Server Names & Types..!!!

Any one tell me about the list of Redhat Linux Enterprise 5 SERVERS and their functions. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman103
3 Replies

7. AIX

DUAL VIOS & Client LPAR hangs at 25b3

I have a DUAL VIO ( IBM Virtual I/O ) setup on p 570. Two Vio server ( VIOS ) and many LPAR clients. VIO ( latest version + service pack + applied the fix ) and AIX 6.1 ML2 When both VIOs are running, and if I turn on a Client LPAR, the LPAR hangs at LED 25b3 for more than 1 hour then it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

8. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

9. AIX

Newbie - AIX LPAR performance problem

Running into performance issues with WAS application servers on two of LPAR's or like configuration under high load web pages crawl. Please forgive me I'm new to AIX and most my expertise is in the Linux space. Thanks for your help!! Here's the run down: The problem appears to be CPU... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: margeson
3 Replies

10. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies
CHCPU(8)						       System Administration							  CHCPU(8)

NAME
chcpu - configure CPUs SYNOPSIS
chcpu -c|-d|-e|-g cpu-list chcpu -p mode chcpu -r|-h|-V DESCRIPTION
chcpu can modify the state of CPUs. It can enable or disable CPUs, scan for new CPUs, change the CPU dispatching mode of the underlying hypervisor, and request CPUs from the hypervisor (configure) or return CPUs to the hypervisor (deconfigure). Some options have a cpu-list argument. Use this argument to specify a comma-separated list of CPUs. The list can contain individual CPU addresses or ranges of addresses. For example, 0,5,7,9-11 makes the command applicable to the CPUs with the addresses 0, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. OPTIONS
-c, --configure cpu-list Configure the specified CPUs. Configuring a CPU means that the hypervisor takes a CPU from the CPU pool and assigns it to the vir- tual hardware on which your kernel runs. -d, --disable cpu-list Disable the specified CPUs. Disabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it offline. -e, --enable cpu-list Enable the specified CPUs. Enabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it online. A CPU must be configured, see -c, before it can be enabled. -g, --deconfigure cpu-list Deconfigure the specified CPUs. Deconfiguring a CPU means that the hypervisor removes the CPU from the virtual hardware on which the Linux instance runs and returns it to the CPU pool. A CPU must be offline, see -d, before it can be deconfigured. -p, --dispatch mode Set the CPU dispatching mode (polarization). This option has an effect only if your hardware architecture and hypervisor support CPU polarization. Available modes are: horizontal The workload is spread across all available CPUs. vertical The workload is concentrated on few CPUs. -r, --rescan Trigger a rescan of CPUs. After a rescan, the Linux kernel recognizes the new CPUs. Use this option on systems that do not auto- matically detect newly attached CPUs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. RETURN CODES
chcpu has the following return codes: 0 success 1 failure 64 partial success AUTHOR
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 SEE ALSO
lscpu(1) AVAILABILITY
The chcpu command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 CHCPU(8)