Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users script regarding listing long group names Post 302492550 by Ygor on Monday 31st of January 2011 08:55:19 PM
Old 01-31-2011
Duplicate. Closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

long listing of files up to a given date

Hi I would like to a long list of files up to a given date. I've tried: ls -al > filelist but this command gives me all the files. I've also have tried the find command: find . -mtime -10 -type f -print > filelist This gives me information on active file within the past 10 days and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlh
2 Replies

2. Solaris

entry in /etc/group too long - problem using sudo with %group

hi folks, I've been googling for quite some time, but still can't find anything near it...my problem is the following: for useradministration in our company we are using ssh/sudo, now whenever I try to add users (we have quite a number of users) with useradd -G groupname for secondary group I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poli
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

retrieving all group names with a given group number

hi, which Unix/C function can i use to retrieve all group names with a particular group id? The following C code prints out the group id number of a particular group name: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #include <stdio.h> #include <grp.h> int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/matching help with long listing of directories

How do I get this to work? cat somefile | grep "-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~" This is the the desired output -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~ I basically want an exact match of the line I am grepping for, the special characters and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

I have a file in the following format. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 adrf dfgr dfg 2 dfgr dfgr 3 dfef dfr fd 4 fgrt fgr fgg 5 fgrt fgr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

Hi All I do have a file like this with 6 columns. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 1 12 26 289 3.2e-027 GCGTATGGCGGC 2 12 26 215 6.7e+006 TTCCACCTTTTG 3 9 26 175 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Listing the long groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike12
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for long listing of groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike12
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run sql query having a long listing of parameters

Hi, I have a query regarding execution of a sql query having long listing of parameters ..I need to execute this query inside a shell script. The scenario is like.... Suppose I have a file abc.txt that has the card numbers..it could be in thousands.. then I need to fire a query like ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
12 Replies

10. SCO

Long file names within shell script

I am downloading a zip file that contain files that are very long. I am trying to process them, but cannot. I can move the files from one directory to another at the shell prompt, but not within a shell script, I get a stat error. The files look somewhat like this; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trolley
5 Replies
grpck(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						 grpck(1B)

NAME
grpck - check group database entries SYNOPSIS
/etc/grpck [filename] DESCRIPTION
The grpck utility checks that a file in group(4) does not contain any errors; it checks the /etc/group file by default. FILES
/etc/group ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
groups(1), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Too many/few fields An entry in the group file does not have the proper number of fields. No group name The group name field of an entry is empty. Bad character(s) in group name The group name in an entry contains characters other than lower-case letters and digits. Invalid GID The group ID field in an entry is not numeric or is greater than 65535. Null login name A login name in the list of login names in an entry is null. Logname not found in password file A login name in the list of login names in an entry is not in the password file. Line too long A line (including the newline character) in the group file exceeds the maximum length of 512 characters. Duplicate logname entry A login name appears more than once in the list of login names for a group file entry. Out of memory The program cannot allocate memory in order to continue. Maximum groups exceeded for logname A login name's group membership exceeds the maximum, NGROUPS_MAX. SunOS 5.10 10 Jan 2000 grpck(1B)