Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kornshell grabbing value from file Post 302490705 by Perderabo on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 02:05:42 PM
Old 01-25-2011
If i understand the question... Use $(<filename) like this:
Code:
$ cd /tmp
$ xval=0
$ echo 123 > xfile
$ echo $xval
$ xval=$(<xfile)
$ echo $xval
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing lines out of a file based on a date

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am not exactly sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. I'm looking for a command or simple script that will read in a large flat file (contains 2005 data) and will output a new file based on a quarter. Within each row, position 87-90 is a julian... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script grabbing cvs file .....

how do I write a script to checkout a file in cvs and cat the file into a file in my home directory Commands are cd /home/smr/sandbox cvsroot choose option 1 cvs co filename cat filename > /home/smr/newfilename Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed grabbing the last line of a file

I can grab the first line w/ sed how do you grab the last line of a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing a value from an output file

I am executing a stored proc and sending the results in a log file. I then want to grab one result from the output parameters (bolded below, 2) so that I can store it in a variable which will then be called in another script. There are more details that get printed in the beginning of the log file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grabbing filename from text file....should be easy!

Quick question...I'm trying to grab the .tif file name from this output from our fax server. What is the best way i can do this in a bash script? I have been looking at regular expressions with bash or using awk but having some trouble. thanks! The only output i want is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run my make file in Kornshell

Hello Forum Memebers, I have file with exension of .shsrc ie(startA.shsrc) .while iam trying to make ,its getting Ksh not found. file:startA.shsrc error:KSH not found the content about shell declaration in the korn shell is below. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing the newest file, cleaner method?

Greetings, I'm doing a process whereby I need to search for all filenames containing a given bit of text and grab the newest file from what may be 20 results. In a script I'm writing, i've got a monster line to do the sort as follows: find /opt/work/reports/input -name "*$searchtarget*" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing a chunk of text from a file

Hi, I have a Report.txt file. Say the contents of this file are : 1 2 3 4 5 7 df v g gf e r dfkf lsdk dslsdklsdk Report Start: xxxxxxdad asdffsdfsdfsdfasfasdffasdf sadfasdfsadffsfsdf Report End. sdfasdfasdf sdfasfdasdfasdfasdfasdf sadfasdfsdf I need to grab from Report Start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing value from file and run command in ``

Hi ALL, How can I make a script take data from a file and execute the commands within `` in the file n put that that in a variable? for i in `cat file` do file=`grep -i key file` cp ${file} test done file /tmp/`date +y`log /tmp/unix`date +y`log (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies
Moose::Cookbook::Snack::Types(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Moose::Cookbook::Snack::Types(3)

NAME
Moose::Cookbook::Snack::Types - Snippets of code for using Types and Type Constraints VERSION
version 2.1202 SYNOPSIS
package Point; use Moose; has 'x' => ( isa => 'Int', is => 'ro' ); has 'y' => ( isa => 'Int', is => 'rw' ); package main; use Try::Tiny; my $point = try { Point->new( x => 'fifty', y => 'forty' ); } catch { print "Oops: $_"; }; my $point; my $xval = 'forty-two'; my $xattribute = Point->meta->find_attribute_by_name('x'); my $xtype_constraint = $xattribute->type_constraint; if ( $xtype_constraint->check($xval) ) { $point = Point->new( x => $xval, y => 0 ); } else { print "Value: $xval is not an " . $xtype_constraint->name . " "; } DESCRIPTION
This is the Point example from Moose::Cookbook::Basics::Point_AttributesAndSubclassing with type checking added. If we try to assign a string value to an attribute that is an "Int", Moose will die with an explicit error message. The error will include the attribute name, as well as the type constraint name and the value which failed the constraint check. We use Try::Tiny to catch this error message. Later, we get the Moose::Meta::TypeConstraint object from a Moose::Meta::Attribute and use the Moose::Meta::TypeConstraint to check a value directly. SEE ALSO
Moose::Cookbook::Basics::Point_AttributesAndSubclassing Moose::Util::TypeConstraints Moose::Meta::Attribute AUTHORS
o Stevan Little <stevan.little@iinteractive.com> o Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> o Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> o Shawn M Moore <code@sartak.org> o XXXX XXX'XX (Yuval Kogman) <nothingmuch@woobling.org> o Karen Etheridge <ether@cpan.org> o Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org> o Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@weftsoar.net> o Chris Prather <chris@prather.org> o Matt S Trout <mst@shadowcat.co.uk> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2006 by Infinity Interactive, Inc.. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-19 Moose::Cookbook::Snack::Types(3)