Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage? Post 302490372 by mark54g on Monday 24th of January 2011 04:49:00 PM
Old 01-24-2011
I would use this as a reason, for management's awareness, to get every vital system on a UPS and regimented backup and recovery process.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to mark54g For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sysadmins: your top 10 duties/responsibilities?

For you Unix sysadmins: what are you 10 most common duties/responsibilities as sysadmins and what would you suggest a newbie sysadmin do to learn them? For instance, say adding/deleting users is one of your most common duties. So a newbie would be wise to get familiar with useradd/userdel,... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatkins679
15 Replies

2. AIX

Administrator responsibilities

HELLOW ALL Can any one tell me what are the Requirements for any system administrator to be a system administrators (After taking all the courses for IBM or the the track that requires only during your job). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Booting up problem after power outage

hi guys, i'm new so don't bite too hard. having a problem booting up a V210 running sol9 on after a power outage... an init5 was done but not a init0 before the power cut... so now when booting up it gives the ff: SC Alert: Host System has Reset Probing system devices Probing memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lungsta
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Help me in responsibilities of solaris admin

Dear friends I have a doubt 4 months back i've completed my Solaris course now i'am searching for job on 2+ years experience please anyone tell me what are the common responsibilities of solaris admin means when i'll get a job what is the common daily work for me in office as a 2+ years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
7 Replies

7. AIX

Role of sys admin during power outage in Data center

i am new to aix environment and all my servers are @ remote location just curious to know , what issues/tasks we will be facing when there is a power outage in a data centre, i heard outage's will be a challenging task for administrators.. any example of that sort will be a great help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rigin
2 Replies

8. AIX

System can't boot up after power outage

Hello Forum, I am very newbie with AIX. We have 2 AIX 9111-285 servers. The OS version is 5.3. After the power outage, they did not come up. I try to unplug the power cable and re-connect after 1 minutes but do not help. Both display the same reference code 110000AC on the front panel... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
6 Replies

9. AIX

Automatic Server bootup after power outage?

Hi everyone, We had a power outage few days ago, and I got the servers up and running but I was informed to look into, if there is a way to bring up the servers automatically/defaultly. I was told the windows admin has their server set up where the servers are up automatically if there is a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adnans2k
11 Replies
DETECTUPS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      DETECTUPS(8)

NAME
detectups - UPS detection/powerd configuration generator SYNOPSIS
/sbin/detectups [tty] DESCRIPTION
detectups monitors the serial port connected to an UPS device and will attempt to determine the method of UPS notification of power outage. It will ask you to remove the power cord from the wall to the UPS, or push the UPS's test button. It will then determine what all has hap- pened and ask to generate a config file based on your UPS and cable configuration. detectups needs to watch a tty with modem control prop- erties. Please refer to the powerd documentation for further information. ARGUMENTS
Serial-Device Some serial port that is not being used by some other device, and does not share an interrupt with any other serial port. /etc/powerd.conf FILES
/etc/powerd.conf powerd configuration file that detectups generates /etc/inittab init is what actually issues the shutdown SEE ALSO
powerd(8), shutdown(8), wall(1), inittab(5). AUTHOR
James Brents <James@nistix.com> (with parts of this man page borrowed from all over the Linux community) DETECTUPS(8)