Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sqrt in bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sqrt in bash Post 302490182 by pludi on Monday 24th of January 2011 06:58:11 AM
Old 01-24-2011
Because Bash (and most other shells) don't know any mathematical operations or functions beyond the basic five (add, sub, mul, div, mod). If you need higher level functions, use bc or a different scripting language like Perl or Python.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sqrt

Hi! when i'm trying to compile this lite example on my linux machine I'll get errors and i don't know why.. #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> /* needed by sqrt() */ int main() { printf("%f", sqrt(10.0)); return (0); } this is the error: /tmp/cc33hNVHK.o: In function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CreamHarry
1 Replies

2. Programming

sqrt is not find???

I was writing a simple program in linux, which includes sqrt function of c. I included the math.h. But when I use gcc to compile it, it gave an error message: /home/murat/tmp/ccOv9upo.o(.text+0x4b): In function `main': : undefined reference to `sqrt' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murataht
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create SQRT function in catenate file

HI, I have a file which i catenate and using the fields in the file, I would like to get sqrt of it. I tried to man the function but it normally would need an echo as well as bc. What I am intending to find out is catenate a file where let say cat a.txt| awk ' { t= h*($3+$2); t=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find sqrt of a any number without using expr

hi friends can any body tell me how can i find sqrt of a any given number without using expr in bash shell while i am doing i got some errors please take a look and code is here x=$((( ( sqrt($1) ) | bc ))) echo $x $ sh quadratic-eqn-roots.sh 9 quadratic-eqn-roots.sh: line 12: ( (... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas2828
6 Replies

6. Programming

C Library reference error using sqrt() - will not compile.

This so basic that it should work.... Any ideas would be appreciared. Using a number directly in the sqrt allows it to compile. primrose > cat a.c #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main(void) { double abcd=9; printf("%f\n",sqrt(abcd)); } primrose > gcc a.c Undefined first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plastichead
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: Is SQRT(n) possible in a POSIX compliant shell? A: Yes within limits.

Hi all... This is just a fun project to see if it is possible to get a square root of a positive integer from 1 to 9200000 to 6 decimal places on a 64 bit architecture machine. It is coded around dash and the results show the values from 0 to 10000. Complex numbers can easily be catered for by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
Moose::Meta::Attribute::Native::Trait::Number(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	Moose::Meta::Attribute::Native::Trait::Number(3pm)

NAME
Moose::Meta::Attribute::Native::Trait::Number - Helper trait for Num attributes VERSION
version 2.0603 SYNOPSIS
package Real; use Moose; has 'integer' => ( traits => ['Number'], is => 'ro', isa => 'Num', default => 5, handles => { set => 'set', add => 'add', sub => 'sub', mul => 'mul', div => 'div', mod => 'mod', abs => 'abs', }, ); my $real = Real->new(); $real->add(5); # same as $real->integer($real->integer + 5); $real->sub(2); # same as $real->integer($real->integer - 2); DESCRIPTION
This trait provides native delegation methods for numbers. All of the operations correspond to arithmetic operations like addition or multiplication. DEFAULT TYPE
If you don't provide an "isa" value for your attribute, it will default to "Num". PROVIDED METHODS
All of these methods modify the attribute's value in place. All methods return the new value. o add($value) Adds the current value of the attribute to $value. o sub($value) Subtracts $value from the current value of the attribute. o mul($value) Multiplies the current value of the attribute by $value. o div($value) Divides the current value of the attribute by $value. o mod($value) Returns the current value of the attribute modulo $value. o abs Sets the current value of the attribute to its absolute value. BUGS
See "BUGS" in Moose for details on reporting bugs. AUTHOR
Moose is maintained by the Moose Cabal, along with the help of many contributors. See "CABAL" in Moose and "CONTRIBUTORS" in Moose for details. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Infinity Interactive, Inc.. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-28 Moose::Meta::Attribute::Native::Trait::Number(3pm)