Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sound Device
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sound Device Post 302488833 by tetsujin on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 02:03:27 PM
Old 01-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
One odd thing I've discovered with firefox and flash is that programs it launches also inherit an open sound device! if firefox is hogging the sound device, and firefox launches xpdf, and you close firefox completely, xpdf will still hog it! It is very bizarre.
It's not too strange if you think about how open file handles interact with fork/exec... Basically when you fork a process, the new process normally inherits all the file descriptors of the first process - and the file descriptors stay open when you call exec(), too. There are ways around this (flagging a file descriptor "close on exec", or explicitly closing the file after a fork()) - I guess firefox just hasn't implemented them, or something...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Non exclusive sound device access!!

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys know of way to make applications that use sound device on linux to access it in a "non-exclusive manner", the aim is to be able to use more than one application that requires the sound device. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. Slackware

X terminal: Redirecting remote sound to my local audio device

Hello everybody, I'm testing some aspects of X Terminal implementation and it's going great. I can use remote applications on my local slow workstation at remote's processor speed by redirecting the remote DISPLAY variable to "my_local_ip:0.0"; but i'm having troubles to get remote audio and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

3. Hardware

No sound device in Solaris 11 running in Parallels (MacBook Pro)

I'm new to Solaris. I was able to installed Solaris 11 running GNOME. I tried to detect sound/audio but the message given that "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found". There is no dev/audio but there are audio drivers such as gstreamer installed when I checked using Solaris... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abang Annuar
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)